Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:12 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:38 am 
Hi,
Im using a Nikon D5000, with 18/55 VR lens & 55/200 VR Lens.

I find the AF quite slow at times especially in moderately low light, the lenses struggle to find AF and keep focusing in and out..... Plus i have been using the Nikon for about a year now (Since its launch), and want to upgrade to faster camera & lens.

Choice One : Canon 7d + 18/135 USM Lens (or maybe its 18/105 USM)
Choice Two : Canon 60d + 18/135 USM Lens
Choice Three : Nikon D7000 with my existing lenses
Choice Four : Just buy a 17/55 f2.8 or equivalent lens for my D5000

I know im all over the place, but am quite frustrated with the D5000's slow and failure in AF quite often.
HELP!!!!
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:10 am 
As a user of a D5000 I can confirm that it is your lens that is holding you back. My D5000 will focus as fast as my pro D300 with the same lens.

Why consider Canon as well when you already have a Nikon lens collection?

Post subject: @Jeremy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:16 am 
Thanks Jeremy,
I guess that makes sense, but since im getting a good buyback offer (after using the D5000) for a year, im just keen on upgrading.
I am considering the D7000 as well, and i want to upgrade my lenses as well, the 55/200 esp is something im not very happy with.

Wht lens do you recommend? i want a "do it all" lens (as far as possible!!) :D
Thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:43 am 
What lens for what?

On a budget:

General use - Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS

Telephoto - Sigma 70-200 f2.8 non-os

"Do it all" - Nikon 18-200mm version I

Portrait lens - Nikon 50mm f1.4

Low light/general use - Nikon 35mm f1.8

Buy one of those I would, a body upgrade wont do anything if you dont have the right lenses. Bear in mind when upgrading that lenses hold their value, so if you buy a £1000 lens you can sell it in 5 years time for £800-£900. Do you want to guess how much the D7000 will be worth in 5 years time? My guess is next to nothing :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:56 pm 
+1 on upgrading your lenses - definitely the shortest path to improved IQ and performance as a first step.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:30 pm 

I would upgrade your lenses. The d5000 is a good camera.

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:08 am 

Hello kunal, and a warm welcome to the friendly Cameralabs forum! Before you make any more posts, be sure to read our House Rules here.

The D5000's decent, it wasn't a HUGE seller but it's still a solid machine. I'd either go for the Nikkor 18-200mm or the Nikkor 16-85mm. Both two wonderful lenses! I'm actually saving up for the 16-85 myself, to mount on a D7000 which I hope to purchase soon.

The 18-200 is very good for all purpose, go wide at 18 or tele at 200, it may be the only lens that you need! The newer model features Nikon's VR ii technology, which compensates for hand vibrations. It's better than the VR i, although that's not to say that VR i is bad. This isn't the sharpest Nikkor DX zoom, although for the price, you're getting a fine tele zoom for all use.

The 16-85 gets a bit wider than the 18-200, and it makes a fair difference. If you compared a 100mm lens to a 102mm lens, there wouldn't be a big difference. Although if you compared a 15mm lens to a 17mm lens, there's be a bigger difference. Small numbers make bigger differences when going W/A. But that's not to say that you won't notice the 115mm difference between the two on the tele side, the 18-200 certainly is better for getting up close. The 16-85 is relatively fast (F3.5-5.6), it's one of the sharpest DX zooms around, plus the VR ii is a great bonus.

So, you couldn't go wrong with either of these lenses. They're both exceptional, and would greatly improve the IQ, plus give you some more versatility. If you really do want to upgrade your body, the D7000 is the way to go. Plus, either of the lenses that I mentioned previously would go great with the 7000.

I hope that I helped!

-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:10 am 
Id advise against the 16-85 Im afraid Evan, especially when the fantastic Sigma 17-50 is offered at the same price ish. If that is relatively fast then the sigma is lightning fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:11 am 
Hi Guys,
Thanks Evan, but i was too tempted, and have sold my D5000. The "need/greed" to upgrade got to me.

I have seen great reviews of the Canon 7D and have friends who have been using it for a year with no complaints. Having said that, the camera was released over a year ago.... which makes me wonder if i should invest in a camera thats a year old and due for an upgrade in the next few months. Frankly, waiting is not an option....

Having said that i am leaning towards the Canon, because even my old film slr EOS50 focuses at lightening speed as compared to the D5000... with a little daughter who is forever running all over the place, quick autofocus is of utmost importance.
Well, so my impression is that Canons are quicker and have fantastic build quality, my old EOS50 that i had bought in 1998 still works perfectly.

BUT...... The D7000 from Nikon... thats stopped me in my tracks and got me thinking..... no indepth reviews and side by side comparisons here yet.... so am totally confused at this point.....

BTW 60D is not too interesting coz im not a big fan of the articulating screen, always worried about its durability..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:18 am 
kunal wrote:
my old film slr EOS50 focuses at lightening speed as compared to the D5000

Yes, because you didnt have the kit lens on the front presumably

Post subject: @Jeremy
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:22 am 
Im using the Kit lens on the old EOS50 the EF 35/80mm f4-5.6
It is quite amazing, i noticed the Canon 550D vs the D5000 too has faster more confident AF (both with 18/55 kit lenses)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:48 am 

Not possible.

The Nikon 18-55 has a much faster AF system, it has the USM version of Canon in it (Nikon call it SWM), but the Canon doesnt have USM it its lens.
Purely nonsense, the D5000 should focus more quickly and quitely.

And I think it's stupid youve sold your D5000 because you wanted to upgrade. Marijn (Citruspers) takes photos with an 8 year old dSLR, I do so with a 5 year old one.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject: @Ruben
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:57 am 
Wooah!
Dont get your knickers in a knot... just stating what i observed...
and bout my decision being "stupid" or not, is NOYB!

FYI, i wanted to upgrade my kit and i know a lens upgrade wouldve been great, but got a good offer for my D5000 with lenses, so i preferred a clean slate, allowing me to pick up a new body and higher end lens from ANY manufacturer.

Came here looking for some serious help, not a place for you to PMS. Please leave this forum for people who are serious bout helping... dont need yours. Thanks.