Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: E-PL1 vs GF1
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:11 am 
Hello everyone,

I don't usually require higher-end gear, I shoot weddings and such with a 400d without any issues (except sometimes focus speed).
I would like to get either a 60d or 550d in the future. But in doing so, I would also acquire allot of other gear (microphones, lenses, and such) to make a complete photo + video kit.
Until I saved enough money for that and still have some to spare, I was wondering on getting a m4/3 camera because most of them offer good IQ and reasonable video.
I wondered this because I do allot of camping, and hauling a 400d behind does get heavy. So I though a m4/3 to be used as a p/s would do great.
But, as I stated, both cameras are different.
The GF1 has great ergonomics and a better screen, the e-pl1 is cheaper and has built in IS.
My main doubt here is mostly in IQ, menu organization, and possible manual mode in video. What are the main differences?
What are you opinions in this matter? Which one's better?
I know I'm digressing a bit but I would appreciate any imput.

Thanks

P.S.: I don't mind the cucumbersome manual mode of the e-pl1.
P.P.S.: I don't plan on investing in allot of lenses, maybe just an adaptor for m-mount lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:12 pm 
These two cameras are pretty much a draw. Personally, I think that I prefer the feel of the Oly in my hands -- but I would also say that the Panny feels smaller in size so probably more portable. The Panny seems faster than the Oly -- but I have only spent a couple of minutes looking at them both.

I would also say that from what I have seen the Oly jpg output is better than the Panny out-of-the-camera without any tweaks.

However, ymmv.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:29 pm 
My issue is mostly bang for a buck.

The jpg quality is quite important (I really only use RAW in specific situations).
Both cameras feel nice in my hands, and the build quality is sort'off secondary.

Thanks

P.S.: Like the GF-1, ain't there a hack to shoot 1080 in the e-pl1?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:37 am 
Toss a coin? :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:15 am 
At this point it would probably be the simplest way yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:03 pm 
Sorry for the bump but I've managed to try both cameras for a couple of days.
I've found that they don't feel that well in my hand and I find the button layout to be well... a nutcase... my compact sony has a more intuitive design to it than the e-pl1 for example.

But the photos are nice! Quality ain't an issue... they just don't feel well in my hand...

Anyway, thank's everyone's for your help and opinions.