Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:21 pm 

Hi guys,

I am from Brazil. I've just registered on the board, though I've been a reader for a long time. This website and forum are very helpful!

My sister's boyfriend is going to NY at the end of this month, and my mother wants him to bring her a new camera and asked me to choose which one.
The first (and so far, only) digital camera we bought was a Sony Cybershot DSC-S650.

Her requirements are:
- price around BRL 300, which on the current rate is around US$ 180;
- powered by batteries (not AA). That's because it seems we never have charged AAs when we need them, my opinion is the problem is on the charger. Anyway, let's move on.

Looking at Gordon's best buy suggestions and elsewhere, I've narrowed the options to the following (current BestBuy prices on the side):
- Canon SD1300 IS (IXUS 105) $179.99, on sale for $149.99
- Canon SD1400 IS (IXUS 130) $229.99, on sale for $179.99
- Canon SX130 IS $249.99, on sale for $199.99
- Sony H55 $229.99, on sale for $209.99
- Panasonic TZ8 / ZS5 $279.99, on sale for $229.99

Are the prices on BestBuy physical stores the same as on the website?

The primary use is for all-around and travel pictures.

I don't think the zoom is very important, since they never complained about the 3x on our current camera. All of the above have stabilization, and I think that is pretty important.

If it were me, I think I would pick the SX130 IS, which is currently at $199.99 at BestBuy, but it is powered by AA batteries, so my mom wouldn't like it. It also has the same sensor size as the 2 other Canons, but slower max aperture (3.4 vs 2.8). It's only better on manual controls, which they wouldn't know how to use and the longer zoom.

For their use, I think it would be between the SD1300 and SD1400.
Is there any special reason to choose the SD1400 besides the 2 extra MPs?
Am I correct thinking that the more MPs actually diminish the IQ ?

Or should I try to convince her that another option (from this list or not) is very superior and worth a few extra bucks?

It looks like I pretty much decided already. I would just like to see second thoughts, in case I'm missing something ...

I'm also looking for a DSLR for myself, but that would be the subject for a separate post :-)

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:59 pm 

Hi Mentor,

May I wish you a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forum.

One housekeeping note, if I may, is that your Avatar image exceeds the maximum dimension of 100 pixels by a factor of two. Our forum rules refer. Please replace it at your earliest convenience.

I'm a bit out of touch with the compact market at the moment so I won't offer any advice except that, if you do decide on the SX130 IS then make sure your sister's boyfriend is furnished with the North American models name. Asking for a PowerShot SX130 IS in NY might get blank looks followed by an attempt to sell a totally different camera. :evil:

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:19 am 

Hi Bob,

Thanks for letting me know, I had not read the rules, sorry.
I already updated my avatar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:25 am 

Welcome Mentor!

I'd recommend the Olympus Stylus Tough 3000. It's actually a very nice camera, and a very tough camera as well. To start off, it's waterproof, freezeproof and shockproof, so no worries of it getting damaged. It has a gig of internal memory, so you already don't need an SD card. There's a 3.6x optical zoom and some digital zoom as well (Although I wouldn't recommend using the digital zoom), plus it records HD movies with the touch of a button on the back, I know that lots of people like the movie features. The display is around 3 inches, and it's the standard 230 000 pixels. The real seller of this camera is the price, it comes in at around $170 American, which really seems like a good deal.

The only complaints that I would have for this camera would be the fact that the high FPS shooting is slower, around 1 FPS. Another problem is the battery, it's a li-ion rechargeable. According to Olympus, this should get you around 160 shots on a full charge, and I think that 160 would be enough for her, she could charge the battery each night and get a full 160 each day.

Hopefully you'll consider the Olympus!

-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:19 pm 

Just to update the situation and let this topic be closed, I should let you know that we chose the Canon SD1300 IS.

Thank you Bob and Evan for your replies.