Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:45 pm 
I’m looking to upgrade from my old canon Ixus 50 which is now getting on a bit. I'm hoping to learn how to take better photos so need a camera with a bit of flexibility but don't want to carry around a DSLR.

I have a one year old who I want to capture images as he grows up and would also like to take landscape and wildlife photos

My wish list is as follows:
Decent zoom range of 25-300mm or more
Good Image quality
Full manual controls
Flash built in
HD Video
Reasonable burst rate would be an advantage

I’ve narrowed my options down to 4.

1) By a big zoom compact either sony hx5 or more likely the Panasonic TZ10 with full manual controls 25-300mm or with intelligent zoom 25-400mm
2) Superzoom/bridge camera Nikon P100 26-520mm (speed advantage & CMOS sensor) or Canon sx30 24-840mm (need I say anymore about this big boy)
3) Micro 2/3 camera with changeable lens (Panasonic GF or Olympus Pen) can be smaller than bridge with 14-42mm (28-84mm 35mm) and have a second lens 40-150mm (80-300mm 35mm equivalent) much better quality but more expensive and need a second lens to carry around
4) Wait to April/May time when some more compacts/bridge cameras may be released.

My issue with bridge cameras is that there is very little difference between image quality with top end compacts as a whole (they use the same size sensors) and when you can get 12/16x zoom on the Panasonic TZ10 which can fit into your pocket why buy the bigger camera?

Micro 4/3 is a difficult one – more money but a lot more camera but only 3x zoom although I will be able to take bigger crops (bigger and better sensor) and if you are going out for walk etc you would probably go with the bigger lens anyway. I don’t want have to keep changing lenses but in reality you probably fit the lens to the type of photography you are taking at the time – I guess having not had this problem or flexibility before.

Any thoughts?