Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:02 pm 

I think most forum members are just not impressed with the new 60D, especially when you look at what Nikon has to offer at the same price or less ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:55 pm 
Quote:
But what's ''ou''? For the others"
ou = old (Afrikaans) 8)

Quote:
I think most forum members are just not impressed with the new 60D, especially when you look at what Nikon has to offer at the same price or less

That is a sweeping generalization. BTW, the other other site has just completed their review of the 60D. With a score of 79% it rates higher than the 550D, A55 and the same as 5DII ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:29 am 

If I remember correctly, there was another rating system in use at the time of the 5DII ;). In my humble opinion, it's not a fair comparison.

Also, I don't care about their 'rating' :roll:.

My photos on Flickr...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:16 am 

I'd go for the D7000, the 60D just wasn't good enough of a release for Canon. It's only advantages are the better video mode, and that swively LCD thingy that isn't very useful (IMHO). Plus, the 60D is more expensive, making it a hard sell for DSLR buyers, unless they already have an assortment of Canon glass and have no plans to change.

Considering that you're upgrading from a D40 (Which is 4 years old if I'm not mistaken) you've probably already had a fair deal of photography experiance, although perhaps not enough for a camera like the 7D or D300s. The D7000 certainly would be a worthy candidate as I mentioned before, on account of it's absolutely SUPERB IQ (Better than the D300s and perhaps the 7D).

As the others mentioned, the most CRUCIAL part of purchasing a new camera is trying out it's feel before you buy it, so go to your local camera store and try them out, that's the most important. Whichever one feels better should be the one you get, although perhaps the Nikon would still have a slight edge on account of it's superb IQ, and the fact that you already own some Nikkor lenses.

-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:16 pm 
Hi ahmadzaa,

first, I suggest you examine what you are looking for in a camera, that the excellent D40 doesn't already have.

Unless there is something specific you are looking for, it might be a bad idea to upgrade altogether!

I have both the D300 and the D40 and for a lot of photography, prefer my D40 over the D300! Slap a 35mm AF-S f1.8 on the D40, set it to Aperture Priority mode and bring along the lightweight SB-400 flash and there are very few situations you cannot handle. A lightweight, inexpensive, high-quality set of equipment that you can carry all day and shoot for 14 hour straight without breaking your neck, back or arms. The 6MP files are great for 18X12 inch prints...even up to 30X20 inch if you are not a pixel peeper or an aggressive cropper.

My point is not to dissuade you from getting another camera or to suggest that the D40 is "better" than the D300s or 7D - but I do encourage you to examine in more depth what it is you desire from a new camera that you don't already have with the D40.

Generally speaking, the technical quality of your shots hail 90% from the lenses you use and 10% from the body. Spend $1500 dollars on a new body, thus leaving you with no money for lenses, will give you more features to play with, but the image quality (technical) will be the same. Stick with the D40 and spend $1500 dollars on lenses, lighting...heck maybe even a course..and your images are more likely to become better.

Good luck with your choice!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:56 am 

Lah makes a very compelling argument! I suppose that the D40 is still a very nice camera, that can handle most situations. Although, I guess that it's still better to have a body that can perform well at high ISOs over a flash. Although a flash is nice (On account of the features that it's capable of, such as bounce flash), sometimes things like bounce flash won't work (Like in a museum, or an area with high ceilings) where you'll need to use high ISOs.

He also mentioned that the body is accountable for 10% of the image, and the lens is 90%. It's a VERY good point! I like to say the the photographer is 90% of the image, the lens is 8% and the body is 2%. If we take out the photographer, it says that the body is 80% and the lens is 20% and although it may be slightly different from Lah's post, it still represents the same idea. Here on Cameralabs we see MUCH too many posts asking whether the poster should purchase say "A 550D or D90". Although the body is important, the lens is more important. I rarely see a "Should I purchase the Nikkor 35mm AF-S F1.8 or 50mm AF F1.8". Too many people try much too hard to make their minds up on a body, and after they purchase it, they keep the same old kit lens on it the whole time.

Anyways, I think that I elaborated on Lah's post too much. If you DO decide to purchase a new body, once again I'd recommend the D7000 on account of the fact that it's very good at high ISOs and has a very good IQ for the price, it's new technology and you already have some Nikkor lenses. Although once again, if the Canon feels better in the hand compared to the Nikon, pull the trigger and go for it! :) And to add on to help your decision, here's Kai's video (Fron Digitalrev) comparing the 60D to the D7000. And here it is compared to the 7D.

Also, remember that you shouldn't upgrade for the higher MP count, 6.1MP is high enough for outstanding large prints.

-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:08 pm 

If you want full-HD 1080p videos, you're stuck with Canon at the moment. If you don't care at all about video, then get whichever camera feels most comfortable for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:13 am 
Dont forget to consider that you're buying in to a system - once you've got the body you'll probably collect a few lenses and this will probably keep you with that brand for some time.

What's your local shop like, what have your friends got (as already mentioned), what's used in your camera club etc.

I don't think you can go too far wrong with either brand these days.

I only know about Canon, and I'd just caution that a 7D takes quite some getting to know to get the best out of it. My 40D and 5D were easier to learn on, but the 7D has some very advanced features on it which is great if you A) know what you want to do and B) can work out how to get the camera to do it for you.