Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:25 pm 
Due to my studies (film) I've finally decided to buy a DSLR for my projects. A shop assisstent recommended the new Nikon D7000 based on its ability to shoot HD and the newly introduced AF, but I'm still undecided. Another option would be the Canon EOS 60D, but after followng some discussions I've gathered that overall the D7000 might be the better camera for this price range. On the other hand, the tilt screen is a great feature and would certainly come in handy.

In my case taking pictures comes secondary (although it's obviously still important, since my main reason for going for a DSLR is that it can take both pictures and record video), and I really want to get the best camera for shooting videos.

So my question is what other people would recommend, or if there's another camera I should take into consideration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:47 pm 

Canon used to do the best with video. More manual options, slightly better quality...but with the D3100 and D7000, that might have changed. Still, I'd recommend getting a cheap body, and getting a rig. Filming with a DSLR is VERY un-ergonomic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:49 pm 
Dont really want to say too much as Im not at all into videography.

But I would say to put a lot of emphasis on a nice lens, such as one that will open to f2.8, or a prime, so that you can get artistic shallow depth of fields.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:27 pm 
To tell you the truth, I think of all the cameras that Ive researched the video feature on, Ide have to say that sony does beyond the best job with it. Very very good, smooth auto focus while shooting in full HD. you wont be dissapointed by its video capabilities.

Others tend to search for the subject all the time and are extremely loud when they focus...

Check it out, Sony A33.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:15 am 

The 550d has a very good video feature. 1080p 25fps. It is also a lot cheaper than the 60d and d7000. You could get another lens with the money you save. Also I seriously suggest you budget in quite alot of money for a decent sd card. Definitely get a class 10 sd card. The sandisk extreme sdhc cards are very good. However you have to be prepared to pay more than the standard price for a card.

The reason for this is that when you record hd video on a standard memory card, the card can not write quick enough and the video stops recording. I have this problem at the moment on my 550d and am about to buy the sandisk extreme 8gb.

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:18 am 

Unless you absolutely need 25p and/or absolutely cannot wait a month, the Panasonic GH2 + 14-140mm kit lens is hands down the best option.

If you do need 25p and/or cannot wait a month, the second best option is probably to see if you can find a hackable GH1 + 14-140mm kit lens (for under $1,000).

Full disclosure: I own a hackable GH1 - Mark

P.S. As a bonus, after you graduate and upgrade to the AF100 (or its successor), your 14-140mm kit lens (and whatever other lenses and adapters you buy for your GH1/2) will work on that camera, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:07 am 
Go Canon 60D if you need to shoot video, beside the swivel lcd screen, canon has the best and efficient codec right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:01 am 
The research I have done on DSLRs i'd be looking at either the Sony A33 or A55, both brilliant at video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:55 am 

Enche Zein wrote:
canon has the best and efficient codec right now.

Don't get me wrong, the 60D is a very good camera--I'm going to buy one myself as soon as the price falls to ~$900--but that statement about the codec is simply not true. The codec is horribly inefficient, which is why they had to use such a high bitrate. And even then, there's still severe moire. Whereas a GH1 has significantly less moire, and once it's hacked to a similar bitrate, the GH1 also has better IQ.

Mark

P.S. In a related note: the GH1's AVCHD supports file chaining--i.e. continuous (no time limit) recording--while Canon's (Apple's) QuickTime MOV format does not (so you're limited to 12 minute takes).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:24 am 

The Canon 550D is the cheapest good dSLR for filming, it's really excelent in that aspect.
BUT, filming with a dSLR isnt that much fun as you have to use LV continuously. Therefore Id recommend to look at the mirrorless cameras such as the Panasonic GH1, or GF1.
Other manufractors have those cameras too (Olympus, Sony).

Succes with your decission :wink:

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:50 pm 
I'd be going with a dedicated HD recorder rather than a DSLR with video unless you absolutely need the still pics capability. The new sony line of HD recorders have interchangeable lenses as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:26 pm 

The D7000 is decent for video I guess, and it's getting up there with the Canons, although I'd still say it's not on par. The AF is a nice touch, but it's not entirely accurate. The Canons have more manual controls for video, plus I think that the quality is better.

Try looking at an entry level body like the 550D, it's a very nice camera plus the video capabilities are wonderful. In my opinion, Canon is best when it come to manual controls and video. Although, may I say that Sony has been doing a pretty good job lately in the Alphas. Also consider the Sony NEX-VG10 interchangeable lens camcorder. Although, the quality seems awfully reminiscent of the NEX-5 or NEX-3. It shares the camera's sensor, and uses the same lenses, meaning that the quality should be rather similar. Although, do note that the VG10 records at a higher bitrate.

All in all, consider a proper camcorder before you spring for the DSLR.

Good luck!

-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:04 pm 
Thank you all for your fast responses, even though I now have even more options to consider, which isn't easy for someone who's never had to think about lenses and ISO before.

My main reason for choosing a DSLR instead of a camcorder is that I'll most likely shoot fewer videos when I graduate school in about two years, thus I'd rather spend the money on something more versatile.

I've since looked at the Sony α55, which seems to be a reasonable camera for someone whose main concern ist a good video option, albeit as far as a dslr goes it doesn't seem as sophisticated as some others. However, it's way cheaper than the d7000 and the 60d, and on the same price level as the 550d, which doesn't have the tilt screen and stereo audio.

I appreciate all the recommendations. I'm terribly picky when it comes to purchases of this kind, so I'll probably take some time till I reach a decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:25 pm 

The A55 is a very nice camera, especially with the translucent mirror. Although if a digital viewfinder isn't for you, don't do it. I really do like my optical viewfinders, I've tried digital and it just isn't for me.

Consider the Nikon D90 as well, ever since the Nikon D7000 has been released, it's seriously dropped in price. The video is decent, but you may want to consider a decent mic. You can access Gordon's video tour here. As you can see in the video sample which he took of himself, the audio is well, far from perfect. But the video quality is great!

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams