Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:03 am

All times are UTC

Good DSLR camera for a beginner?
Canon 60D 30%  30%  [ 6 ]
Nikon D90 70%  70%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 20
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:31 am 
Wow many thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts... just joined yesterday and already feel i am learning things here... to be real frank I got down to D90 and 60D just because these are the only two I have seen ads on ESPN for... talk about falling prey to slick marketing....

i better go out and get a feel of them for real like most of you recommend... might end up buying something else.... the only fear in my mind is ending up with something that in couple months will feel obsolete....thanks again guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:36 am 
Nothing will become obsolete when you are a beginner :) So don't worry about that,your main objective is to learn.

(my 1st learning DSLR was Nikon D70)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:45 am 
I'm a bit surprised with the result. imho, Canon 60D is a better camera. It is not too complicated for beginners too (I found Nikon D300/s too complicated for beginner).

60D has swivel lcd screen, better interface (menu, joystick, buttons placement) and get the 18MP sensor vs 12 MP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:33 am 
well,all the advantages of the Nikon system(that I wrote on the 1st page) are better than a swivel screen & extra megapixels. megapixels are irrelevant for beginners btw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:15 pm 
Quote:
i better go out and get a feel of them for real like most of you recommend... might end up buying something else.... the only fear in my mind is ending up with something that in couple months will feel obsolete

You really should do that. The 60D is a fine camera and just looking at the pedigree of 550D and 7D it really does outshine the D90 (maybe not the D7000). If you are into video the 60D is better. Also, the Canon system is also perfectly fine for a beginner.

Quote:
I'm a bit surprised with the result. imho, Canon 60D is a better camera. It is not too complicated for beginners too

...only Nikon fanboys would recommend the two year old D90 over the 60D :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:49 pm 
D90 vs 60D is quite the leap in price dont you forget... With that a person could pitch on a lens or accesories.

The only thing I can say is check out a variety of cams before you selcet your final 2, look into somethin just below what you are searching and you will be surprised to see what you find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:16 am 
cyfi - you need to get more cameras in your hands then these two, I think.

Are you sure you need "this much camera" as presented here? Seems like a lot to put out for a newbie -- but I suppose if you have the money -----.

BTW - buy the one that feels best in your hands -- and make sure you read some reviews before buying --- they will help you with the niggly details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:42 pm 
...I found this elsewhere on the site:

Quote:
for those of you interested in the 60D have a look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQLwdD9BstY

Very nice video of the 60D shot with 5DII, 7D & 60D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:01 pm 
Why does it immediately make someone a Nikon fanboy if he or she prefers the D90. That's nonsense. I like it better as well even though it's older.