Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:14 am

All times are UTC

Good DSLR camera for a beginner?
Canon 60D 30%  30%  [ 6 ]
Nikon D90 70%  70%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 20
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:48 am 
I am sure you guys would have been through this question plenty of times.... I am looking to buy dslr camera, my first one in fact.... pretty clue less about details but thinking of buying either the Canon 60D or Nikon D90... which is a better option for beginner looking to just take pics while travelling?want easy to use and hopefully learn to appreciate art of photography gradually.... any word of advice will be great

Edit: All references to the "Canon D60" replaced by "Canon 60D". Bob Andersson.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:27 am 
Nikon D90 is a great tool for a beginner. The Canon 60D is a bit too expensive for this purpose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:01 am 
thx razvan... i am in thailand, prices pretty similar for both Nikon D90 @ $1,100 and Canon 60D @ $1,200... only for body of course... regardless of price u still recommend Nikon D90?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:32 pm 

Hi cyfi,

Out of interest why the D90 rather than the D7000? By the way, it always helps if you check out a poster's Sig. You'll see that I own a Canon and Razvan owns a Nikon. :P

Gordon has reviewed all your likely choices (here). Do you have any questions about features (or lack of features) as described in those reviews?

You have a healthy budget if you are looking at models in this price range and you'll end up with a very capable camera which you can grow into but which can still be set "auto" while you are learning. My only caution would be not to make the mistake of blowing the entire budget on an expensive camera plus its kit lens and then having nothing left over for the next year or two for an extra lens etc.

When you have definitely got your shortlist down to two or three candidates then, if at all possible, please get yourself down to a store and handle the goods (ignoring the sales patter). How a camera feels in your hand can be quite subjective.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:45 pm 

hello, cyfi welcome

i agree with bob,here.
but, if you ask me. It would be Canon 60D or 550D(more lens), of course. :)
because it has both HD video and still pic.
Now it fair 1 canon and 1 nikon(lol). :D

WoW, price in Thailand is little bit expensive, i thought it might cheaper. :)

Sorry it a little bit out topic, Do you know good or recommend a place in thailand. where can i buy good and cheap(lol), Accessories like flash Diffuser.

Thank and Sorry.

Canon Speedlite 480EX II + Tripod+ B+W MRC (2x77+67), hoya HD UV (77) B+W MRC 77mm(CPL slim+10 ND).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:25 pm 

Wow can't believe the d90 is the same price as 60d in Thailand. I would recommend the 60d because I am a canon person. However on an unbiased note the d90 is a great all round camera for beginners and intermediates. The 60d is less of a beginner camera and more of an intermediate camera. If you are a beginner I would look at the 550d as it is the biggest rival for the d90 and offers some great features like full hd video recording.
Hope this helped.

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:57 pm 
SO - let me throw a bit of a spanner in the works here.

I think for a true beginner to photography, I'd look at a prosumer model like the G-12 -- use it for a year or two, build skills and photography understanding, then go with a DSLR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:16 pm 

I think it is really between d90, 550d and 60d. Personally I would go for the 550d and buy another lens or if you have no interest in another lens at the moment I would get a 60d.

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:28 pm 
Any mid-range DSLR like the 60D or D90 would be more than capable for a rookie. Just on age alone, 2 year old D90 vs current 60D, the Canon has the edge. IQ, AF, FPS & ISO are better on the 60D vs D90. However, the current D7000 is the better spec'd and is what you should compare to the 60D.

You really should get them in-hand (including 550D) and try them out. Get the one that fits and feels the best.

Post subject: A hit list for ya
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:26 pm 
Hello, Im kinda faced with the same situation as you, D90 vs D5000, although I have been taking photos while using all manual controls for a number of years now.

The advice that I could give you if you want to just use it as a "travel" or basic "point and shoot" there are a number of other cameras out there that wont cost you $1000, while acheiving really great image quality, performance, durability, and much easier on the wallet... for what you are needing out of a camera.

Check out these great cameras!!!

Canon power shot sx30is, *Canon 500D T1i*, *Nikon D5000*, Nikon D3100, *Pentax KX*. Panasonic Lumix FZ100, Oh and cant forget the
*Sony A550*.

These are all very good cameras and any of them should suit your needs

** = Desired by most. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:59 pm 

Hello, and welcome to the forums!

These are both two wonderful cameras, and their IQ is outstanding!!! Perhaps what you should do, is go to the store and try them both out. Which one feels better in your hands?

Also, consider that when the Nikon D7000 is released, the D90 price should drop. When comparing the 60D to the D7000, the D7000 comes out on top on account of it's better performance at high ISO, and it's a bit cheaper(Well at least it is here in Canada!).

Certain photographers like different cameras for different reasons. Whether the ISO performance is what they need, if it has the FPS shooting that they want of if it just feels the best. Consider all this, and see which one you like.

-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:11 pm 
"60D better IQ than the D90" is more fanboy than anything I'll ever say about Nikon :D
I voted for the D90 because the Nikon system is great for beginners. Sharp & affortable lenses,great camera ergonomy,the CLS which is vital(& free) for people that want to experiment with light,free lens hoods :D & many more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:36 am 

I voted Nikon because they feel better in my hands.

I'd get neither though.

Buy a cheaper body (D3100 or 500D) and spend the change on better lenses. in a couple of years you will upgrade to the latest mid-range body anyway, and you'll still have your lenses.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:46 am 
As I own neither Canon or Nikon, I retract my Canon vote. I mean, who in their right minds would buy a current generation camera that even cameralabs cannot "Highly Recommend"?! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:59 am 

Being a bit of a Nikon fanboy, of course I recommended the D90, but, for good reason! As Razvan mentioned, you get all of those great Nikon perks!

Look at the D7000, probably better than the 60D, and cheaper! There's also the Nikkor 50mm F1.8 AF and the Nikkor 35mm F1.8 AF-S. What great lenses for the price. It's your decision, but I'd recommend the Nikon. Also, like Kimchi, the Nikons feel better in my hands, but you'll need to try the cameras out to figure out that one for yourself! :wink:

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams