Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nikon D5000 VS...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:08 pm 
Hello there Gordan / Anyone else with a suggestion.

After doing extensive research I have found that the nikon D5000 has
very good image quality, with the D90 sensor, and the articulating screen is an extremely nice feature, but the price is a little high for my liking and I will have to save bit more if I decide thats the camera for me. (Im in no rush to buy)

I also think that the Nikon has restrictions to what type of lens' I may be able to put on the camera, due to the (VR)?? and this may be very expensive in the long run... correct me if Im wrong. That being said, I have searched more and more, and I wanted to have your input on what I should be leaning towards.

My budget is about 750 max, but I want a camera that I can really play with, manually, and that Im able to upgrade in the future. Im very into landscape, night/low light and macro photography so image stabalization would also be a nice feature. (of course I would have to get a couple different lens'). At the end of the day my main concern is overall *IMAGE and PRINT QUALITY*, with the least amount of noise, flaring or other quality diminishing factors.

** At 25 years of age, Iam somewhat of an amature/begginer photographer so another thing thats been on my mind is if I should even be spending that sum of cash on my 1st dslr (upgrading from a fujifilm finepix A350) :oops: or get something thats a little more entry level/affordable, such as a point and shoot, SX20/30is, FZ100, or sonys options, then later upgrade dramatically from there in a couple years**

I have a fault though, and its my very high expectation of image quality.

Is the Nikon D5000 the right camera for me? Should I go with a lower end model for now, then upgrade later? Or should I be looking into some of the other models that (Canon, Nikon, Panasonic) or other companys have to offer?

I would love to hear any feedback that Gordon or anyone else has to offer.

Thank you.

Sincerely; Carlos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:00 pm 

The new Nikon D3100 should serve you very well, in combination with the 35mm prime you shoudl have very good IQ.
But, there are more and more brands to consider.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:55 pm 

I think as long as you look to the advanced entry level cameras currently out, the brand won't matter much - image-quality is excellent from any of the current DSLRs, more dependent on the photographer, the lens, and the settings then the actual brand or model. And the newer batches that are a step up from the base models from each manufacturer are all capable in low light/high ISO. Lens availability is not likely to be any big issue for you unless you start getting very deep into specialized photography - even then, you may be able to find every lens you need even from the manufacturer with the smallest lens collection - it doesn't much matter picking the 5 or 10 lenses you need out of 250, or 2,500 - as long as they have the 5 or 10 lenses you need!

I'd certainly recommend taking a look at the Sony A500/550 or A560/580 replacements, the Pentax KX and the new KR, the Nikon D3100 and D5000, and the Canon T2...all are probably pretty close to your price needs. If you look at some of the older models like the A500/550, D5000, and KX, you could come in way under budget, with enough room for a nice lens or two additional. Consider if you want/need video options, if you prefer to buy stabilized lenses or go with the cameras that have stabilization built into the body (Pentax and Sony), whether you want live view functionality, and how functional you want it to be, and variables such as burst speed, buffer size, battery life, ergonomics, etc should all be considered. At this point, you might as well keep your selection large - the more you choose from, the better you can make sure you get the right camera for you.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:24 am 

Hey Drum, and welcome to our friendly Cameralabs forum!

As with any first time DSLR buyer, choosing a brand can be tough. Remember that once you choose your brand, it's expensive to change as that brand's lenses won't work with another brands, so pick a brand that is going to work well for you in the long run. For example, if Pentax makes good entry level cameras but lousy higher-end cameras that you may want to upgrade to in the future, they won't be good in the long run. Now, say that Canon makes just so-so entry level cams but awesome pro level cameras, they'll be good in the future, but not right now. Now say tht Sony has some good entry level ones and higher-end ones, consider them.

Lens wise, I find that they are all very similar, BUT (Yes, I know that I'm going to be yelled at for this) I find that the Canon and Nikon lens lineup are a notch above the other brands (Although it really depends on the lens, some Nikon lenses may be worse than some Pentax lenses, or vice-versa, but that's just my personal opinion!).

Zackie also makes a compelling argument, the A550 and A560 are both very good cameras. Also consider the A330, here in Canada, you can get them for cheap!
The Pentax KX is a VERY good entry level body, perhaps one of the best out there! You're really getting a bang for your buck with the KX.
Canon wise, check out the T2i or T1i. I think that the T1i is a bit cheaper, but I've heard that the T2i is worth the extra money.
With the Nikons, the D90 or D3100 are great. Consider the D3100, it has many great features for the beginner. Also, the D90 has DRAMATICALLY dropped in price since the D7000, it's been marked down from $1000 to $700 in Canada.

Overall, you can't go wrong with any camera, but remember that what makes a good picture is 90% the photographer, 8% the lens and only 2% the body, so take some photography classes and consider some good glass as well. Try finding the VR or IS with longer telephotos, but it's not needed for WA, and usually not normal lenses but it certainly is helpful.

For me, I shoot only with 35mm film right now, I'm waiting for the D7000 to come out (Which is only 7 days now! :D ).

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject: Still undecided... haha.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:33 pm 
Wow, I didnt know that the D90 has come down so much in price. Its definatley worth me considering. The only thing that I wish it had was the articulating screen, but not many higher end cameras do, so i guess its not a must have feature...

On the other hand I dont quite know the difference in lens' comparing it to the D5000, or the other features that the D90 would come on top of vs the D5000.

I keep hearing that sony has pretty good entry level cameras such as the A33, it may be something that I should really take into consideration. Price wise, maybe I can get a better lens off the hop... What does the A33 price at now??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:21 pm 

I can get the A33 with it's kit lens (18-55) for about $800.

Going back to the D5000 and D90, people have commented about the articulating screen, and said that it isn't much of a help. Plus, I'm sure that you'd rather have the MUCH higher resolution screen of the D90 over the articulating low res one of the D5000, but you be the judge.

If the articulating screen is that important, consider the Canon 60D.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

- Ansel Adams

Post subject: The test... The decision
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:10 am 
So, Im going to try and find a shop here that I can phisically touch and look at the D5000 and the D90 and compare both. Maybe I will like the high res screen, but I really like to take shots from odd angles, especially low.

One of my friends has had the D80 for quite some time now and she has been pretty happy with it until recently, and not because of how its operating because it hasnt caused her any greif... Its just time for her to upgrade I guess.

So given the fact that the D80 was a solid camera, with some amazing picture quality and the D90 is the latest version of it, it definatley makes sense for me to give that camera a shot... the D90
Also seeing that it has come down in price...

All in all I think it will come down to which one feels better the D5000 or the D90... The canon 60D is a bit outta my price range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:14 am 

Although the 60D and Nikon D7000 are out of your price range, still try them out. They're wonderful, and the high ISO performance is superb.

Perhaps you could wait longer and see if you could get one of those. The D7000 is made of magnesium alloy, and you can get VERY clean results up to ISO 3200.

- Ansel Adams

Post subject: Wow.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:18 pm 
Ya the 60D and the D7000 are very nice cameras, no doubt about that. what they can do and what you can do with them... Much more sturdy build I imagine the D7000 is than most of these other Nikons.
They should make a mag/alloy entry level DSLR, so that begginers can get a real feel and durability of the class above, even if it costs a little more...

Unfourtunately they are outta my reach, haha, but I will definately take a look at them if they have them at the shop. (650 EUR max.) Keep in mind this is my 1st real Camera/Dslr, aside from my (Fujifilm A350 point and shoot and my Minolta Maxxum 5 Film camera). I especially like my Minolta.

My question now is, what camera has been around longer, the D5000 or the D90? Because if Nikon is going to come out with a new model for either of those soon Ide rather wait because then the deal will be even better, especially for the D90.

As far as lens goes, both these cameras are compatible with most Nikon lenses? I use manual focus almost always so losing AF isnt going to hurt.