Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:08 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:34 am 
Hello experts !!

I'm a beginner in photography and I got my Canon SX20IS about 10 months ago and I haven't have any problems with it; I love its super zoom and its articulated screen among others of its features. However, I've been reading about the new Canon 500D/Kiss X3/Rebel T1i because a friend of mine got one and although it seems like a much better device than mine it's quite affordable too.

My question is, how can I justify getting a new camera when my current camera is only 10 months old? What I'm after here is for somebody who tell me how the 500D is better than the SX20IS for someone like me with few or none photography skills. I mean, I know the basics about DSLR vs Compacts and I have read the reviews, but in the practice, how that would make the difference for me.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:00 am 
Well what are you looking for?
DSLRs tend to have better depth of field control and better high iso performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:43 am 
How do you justify it? Do what I did with my Lumix FZ-28. Buy the 500D, use it to take pretty pictures of your old camera, and then sell the old on eBay!

The reasons I swapped:

DOF control. What is the point in full manual controls if even when at f2.8 almost everything is in focus.

Low light performance. I hated ISO 400 on my FZ-28.

Flexiblity. (lenses mostly)

Speed of operation. I rarely have to scroll through menus. There is no lag between pressing the shutter button and taking the photo. Autofocus is quick, even with my non USM lenses, power up time is pretty much instant, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:11 am 
Micheal that's because you have slow focus lenses comparing to a slug focusing, just wait till you get some USM/HSM, or uber fast micro motor lenses, that being said it's like comparing a slug (point and shoot) to a jet ( kit lens) in terms of focus speed. If you get a 500D i really recommend just getting a body and getting a better lens off of the start. These might cost more but i find the image quality is much better then the kit lens, and they do better in low light.

Sigma 17-70mm OS HSM 2.8-70 ( the non-OS version is sharper, but if you want anti-shake you'll take a bit of a hit in terms of sharpness), I find it's a great walk around lens and it does macros not too shabbily either.

The Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 HSM, I've heard nothing bad about this one and it's sharper then the 17-70mm, it also has a steady f/2.8 aperture. (I presume the OS version takes a bit of a hit in terms of sharpness).

Then there's tamron's 17-50mm f/2.8, again it's a got a fairly fast aperture and it's constant through out the range, it's another nice lens as well and anti-shake knocks a bit of sharpness down. Tamron's lens doesn't have hsm/USM/ what ever tamron called theirs, it has a loud but fairly fats focus speed. It focuses about as fast as the sigma 17-70mm but it's much louder.

And the most important thing with a dslr is finding one that fits your hands better. The 500D fits nicely in my hand but not the best as my pinky dangles or i cramp it up onto the body. I've got a battery grip coming so that should fix that issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:39 am 

You say you're a beginner with no or few photography skills. It also seems you're not sure why you need to upgrade. Unless you regularly shoot in low light, or you often shoot action or sports, I'd suggest you keep your superzoom camera and learn more about photography and what type of photographer you are.

There will come a point where you may find your Canon SX20 is holding you back. Once you reach that point you will know it's time to upgrade.

I used a superzoom for 4 or 5 years before I felt the need for a DSLR. The main advantages for me were easy, quick access to the settings, handling, and a generally more satisfying photography experience.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm