Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:25 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:13 pm 
I am shooting wedding soon of my relative.

I am confused of which to get, a second-hand body(for backup?) or a flash? I have one body, two lenses(wide and telephoto), and two flashes with wireless(I am using the two flashes off cam due do I have my other relatives for as my light men) . I have very limited budget(since I don't have other work at all except photo shooting) for additional needed equipments (flash & body). My budget can only get a second-hand better body (d80) or a brandnew d3000 and shall have no more excess for flash. I am also quite skeptical & afraid in getting a body alone since my other flash seems gone weak(quite old and less trusted china brand, the yongnuo) already and might fail off, leaving only one flash in the session..

I have already experienced shooting wedding thrice with my other relatives and a close friend. I was shooting with two wireless flashes and I want to have one more flash for my planned shooting application (and as for my safety backup also if other stated flash fails).

I was also thinking to instead get an old model body (6 megapixels/say d40, d50, or d70) since its lower cost as I have canvassed, and buy the remaining money for an additional flash? Will a 6 megapixel dslr still good? (I believe my relative and maybe future clients wont do print large format^^)

Please i need your insights/advices about this. I am very confused...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:09 pm 
Hi toothpaste,

If one flash fails, you still have another. If one camera body fails, you're busted lol.

6MP can easily print 18X12 inches or even 20X30. Don't worry about MP.

D80 has flash command, the D40/D40X/D60 does not. D70 does, D50 does not. If memory serves. Dare I assume that you don't have separate triggers?

I don't think the D3000 has it either.

D70/D80...either is good. If you crop a lot, maybe D80 with more MP. But likely they are more expensive. Your call.

Good luck with the shooting!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:39 pm 

Have you considered using something like http://www.borrowlenses.com? You can rent a D90 for three days for just $62 and a SB-600 for $19.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:46 pm 
@ LahLahSr

Hi sir! =)

If one flash fails, you still have another. If one camera body fails, you're busted lol. <--- Hahahaha! This line will make me realize, whew! ^^

I see, I thought 6 megapixels cannot cope with large sized printing..

I am using radio wireless triggers due to my current flashes cannot do AWL.

Sir, there is a lower cost second-hand d3000 being offered; As far its specs speaks in whitepaper, it seems good. What can you say about this dslr compared to d80 or d70? It has SRS & 11 fast AF points 3D tracking system capability also just like with d80 & d90.. I need second opinion about it sir..

^^ Im so excited on the photo shooting soon sir! Love to photo shoot everyday! Hahahaha! =P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:50 pm 
@ theorigamist

Hello!

Sir, its a good idea but I am from Philippines =( I am off to different place also, an island in my country, for the photo shoot about a week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:52 am 
Hi toothpaste,

if you will promise not to call me "sir" I'll promise to give you my best answer :-)

Unless you specifically have plans for the second body - i.e. another purpose than just back-up - I suggest you save you wallet and buy whichever is least expensive on offer. After all, it's only supposed to back you up when your primary camera fails and hopefully that will not happen - it's a pretty unlikely occurrence.

Now, if you commanded $2,500 or more per shoot, it wouldn't be a problem to have two main cameras of semi-pro/pro grade. But if you were, you wouldn't be asking this question here :-)

If the price--difference is minimal, the D70 and D80 has the built-in auto-focus motor. This means that you retain auto-focus with AF-D lenses. The D3000 require you to have AF-S lenses, which generally are more expensive (in some cases not, though). Speaking from experience, I can tell you that auto-focus is pretty neat to have for wedding shoots..lol. A spectacular and inexpensive all-round lens from Nikon is the 50mm F1.8 AF-D. It was introduced in 1986, but it still made from new today and it costs $120-130 from new. Although not a direct comparison, the 50mm AF-S costs $450 or so.

So this could make a D70/D80 a more attractive option, even from a economical perspective.

In respect of people with other opinions, I should tell you that there are those who believe that 6 mega-pixel isn't sufficient for large prints. While I maintain my opinion on the matter, it is of course correct that you cannot have max-resolution 300 DPI print of 6MP images for larger prints - however, I personally don't believe it makes any difference. Your monitor is 100 PPI, for example. But you have to make up your own mind. Personally I've gladly printed 18X12 inch images from a 6MP source-file, for example.

Good luck with the choice!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:51 am 

This is a difficult question...

It is very very unlikely your camera will let you down and you need a back-up camera. But if it happens...
I agree with LahLahSr that the D70 or D80 may cost a little bit more than f.i. the D3000 (dont know if it's right, d'oh!) but you could use cheaper lenses.

If youre really in need of a 3rd flash, get it. A 2nd body isnt really needed imho.

But, it's up to you: Have a 2nd body to be sure you could stay taking pictures during the wedding? Or have another flash for better lighting?
Personally Id buy instead of another body a 2nd memory card and some more batteries.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:02 am 
(Sigh) Just came back.

Guys, I already got the Nikon D80 as for my second body in weddings. Thank you to all of you, it really helped! :D