Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:43 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:18 pm 
Hi,

I am planning on buying a new DSLR camera and I am hesitating between the Canon T2i and the new Sony A55. I am not necessarily looking to shoot very fast action, but the fast autofocus system and the cool features of the A55 are tempting.
In fact, I am looking for a reliable camera that works well in low light, that focus fast and that provides excellent picture quality (especially portraits, landscape). Given that the A55 and the T2i are the same price, but that I don't really need all the features of the A55, I am wondering if the canon would better fits my needs. Also, if you have any other suggestions in that price range, let me know !

Thanks for your help !

BTW, is camera labs going to review the A55 ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:36 pm 

The Canons, like Nikons, Pentax' etc. wont autofocus in Live View as fast as the Sonys.
If that's your priority, Sonys are the only way. Dont forget the Sony A550 though!
With the cheaper A550 you could buy more expensive lenses, that means:
Faster autofocus, better build, bigger aperture, better image quality and so on.

Welcome to the forums though!

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:23 pm 

Personally I'd pick a Sony A580 instead of the A55 :). You may wonder why ? Well...

First, there's battery life. The Sony A4XX/A5XX series have excellent battery life compared to the Canon Rebel T2i/550D; in fact twice the battery life: 1050 shots compared to 440 shots (CIPA rating). The battery indicator is far more accurate as well: it uses % rather than the four level battery display on the Canon. It also has some handy things like hand-held twilight mode/iAuto, etc. DoF preview, mirror lock-up, bracketing,...it has a lot of features considering the fact it's a step-up camera from what Sony UK's Paul Genge called 'amateur class' - it' still a mid-level camera, not an A700-ish one (sadly ?). Too bad it doesn't have two control wheels, Quick Navi and a pentaprism viewfinder...

Second, the optical viewfinder of the A580 is as large as the Canon, I think. Without compromising live view - which is the case with the Canon. The EVF of the A55 isn't bad, but most people - myself included - would prefer a conventional optical viewfinder.

Next, performance. The A580 has less megapixels (and probably consequently, RAW files which are a bit smaller) but the buffer is far bigger compared to the Canon. 22 RAW images - more than four seconds of continuous shooting at the 5 frames per second top speed (with updated AF and AE (auto-exposure). So it's not only faster, but it will remain faster for a longer time when shooting anything that may require this speed.

On the A580 and its siblings you could also mount a vertical grip in case you'd like to do portraiture, or want to improve the balance between the camera and the lens (when using heavier lenses). You can't do this with the A55, which is a smaller camera.

As far as price is concerned: it depends from country to country. In the UK the 550/Rebel T2i is only a little cheaper (at Warehouse Express for instance).

My photos on Flickr...

Last edited by Joris Van den Berghe on Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:35 pm 
Thanks !

I never considered the A580 because it's not yet available in Canada. But, as you said, it really is the best of both worlds. I am more than whiling to trade some shooting speed for the optical viewfinder ! I didn't like the EVF in the 55, but I also wanted to have some movie capability (A550 doesn't have video).

So thanks again, and I'll wait for the A580 to arrive in Canada !

Post subject: Sony A33 Price & Ability
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:31 pm 
I want to say hello to everyone. I'm new and not really into Forms, however this form I've found to be priceless for myself. Thank you to everyone.
Next, I just bought this past Saturday Oct 23. the Sony A33. I could not be happier! my Sister bought a month ago the Canon EOS T2i, it is a nice DSLR with this said, I was so close to buy the T2i or waiting a month due to budget to get the Canon EOS 7D. After reading on here, Talking with the Local Camera dealer here in Topeka, KS. (WOLF's Camera) I ended up buying the Sony A33. with the Promaster AF18-200 XR EDO Lens. The Sony A33 due to several factors is amazing for the Price. I am by no means a professional. Of which Please take into account. However for me, someone who enjoys playing with A-lot of different feature, Whistles and Bells ^.^ The Sony has meet more over exceeded. Again, Bang for the Buck, I do not feel I went wrong. Everyone's advise input is welcome. Again, I want to Thank everyone!