Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:53 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:21 pm 
Hi

I've been looking at buying a new camera for a while now.

My first decision was to decide between a bridge camera or a super zoom compact. I am 90% certain of choosing a compact because I'm more likely to carry it around due to its size and wait but accept it will be more of a compromise.

Now for which compact.
I want to be able to get good picture quality with a little creativity and also be able to take good quality HD video of the little one/
Initially I narrowed it down to the Panasonic TZ8, Tz10 or Sony HX5.

HX5 looked like the best option at first with its CMOS sensor and good video but the compromise was the over digital processing, lack of manual controls and wind noise in video mode which led me to one of the Panasonic.

But then the Nikon S8100 was announced which on paper looks very impressive.

My question is it worth waiting for the S8100 and will you be doing a review soon?

alternatively is there anything else which is due to be released which could compete with the above cameras.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:27 pm 

Have you checked out the new Coolpix P7000? http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24020

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:51 pm 

The new Sony NEX series, or the Panasonic GF1 from Panasonic, like the Olympus Pens are small and deliver dSLR quality. Have a look at them, they will serve you better as you want creativity and quality.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:03 pm 
Thanks for the replys.

I've had a look at all the cameras above and although they are all great I've decided on a compact super zoom for now and may purchase a NEX 5 at a later date.

TZ10 is looking favourite but would like some views on the Nikon S8100 or alternative cameras of similar size.

other than good image and a few manual controls the key issues for me are:
lens starting at 24-28mm
min 10x zoom
Good HD video and sound
prefer CMOS censor for speed and light sensitivity. I know the TZ10 has a CCD sensor.

Thanks