Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:06 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:21 pm 
So I've had an Olympus E410 for the past 2 years, and whilst it's nice to have the benefits of an SLR, the picture quality has always dissapointed me.

Now I have a little bit more money, I'm thinking of upgrading. I only want to do this however if I'm going to experience a major improvement in the quality of the pictures and camera!

I don't want to spend more than £700 ideally. For this money I was thinking Pentax K-7 or Canon 50D, although these would have to be with the basic kit lens. I had a go with the K-7 this week and was very, very impressed but I've never tried a 50D.

Alternatively, I could get a 40D or D90, both of which are much cheaper bodies (so I could afford a slightly better lens).

Any advise would be appreciated greatly.

I should point out, I'm a geologist so will be using the camera outside a lot! Potentially in some very harsh environments (K-7 comes into it's own here?)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:32 pm 

I like the D90, try all of the cameras out and see which one feels best in your hands.

Glass is more important than the body, and it lasts longer, so I'd rather get nice glass and a decent body, than a pro body with just decent glass.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:00 am 

What exactly was the problem with the image quality of your E410 that you think will be solved with a new camera?

There seems to be a trend whereby people who upgrade their camera because they are not satisfied with its picture quality are doubly disappointed to find that despite shelling out for new 'semi-pro' equipment, their camera's picture quality still hasn't improved.

All modern DSLRs are capable of excellent images. I'm not overly familiar with the K7 or 50D, but they are not the 'latest' models and so can be had cheaply on the used market - often bundled with an upgraded lens.

I think that spending all your budget on a shiny new mid-range body and having no money left for anything better than the kit lens is not the fastest route to improved image quality. It would be a shame if after all this, your picture quality still hadn't improved.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:23 am 
Even though different DSLR's have better features and more 'eye' candy... that does NOT make them better..

What matters most IMHO are:

The Glass Choices: Range of lenses, sharpness, build quality.

The Sensor: Size, MP Density, dust reduction system, ect...

and

The Build Quality: The build quality of my DSLR needs to be good and rugged.

Sell your current camera and go for an Olympus E30 or a Nikon D7000, or even a Pentax dslr.

Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:40 pm 
Since you already have Oly equipment, the question begs to be asked -- why not an E-5? OK -- could be overkill, but even the e-620 or e-30 are vast improvements over the e410 -- which isn't a bad camera in and of itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:19 pm 

99tollap:
“So I've had an Olympus E410 for the past 2 years, and whilst it's nice to have the benefits of an SLR, the picture quality has always dissapointed me”.

Sounds like another case of “operator error”, as one of our birding club members uses an Olympus and produces some of the best photography.
http://www.birding.bc.ca/community/view ... f=8&t=4379

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:37 pm 
^ You don't know anything about me yet you instantly judge my ability to take a picture properly? Thanks...

To the previous poster: the E5 is way too expensive for me, and I don't have enough Olympus gear to justify staying with the company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:38 pm 

Could you show some pictures and tell what's wrong with them?
That could help.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:46 pm 

^ You don't know anything about me yet you instantly judge my ability to take a picture properly? Thanks...

I don’t need to know you, as cameras don’t take photos but people do.
If you’re not happy with the image quality, than obviously you’re either using the wrong settings or lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:17 pm 
^Or how about the metering system is not sophisticated enough to deal with complex lighting situations, when I need to quickly take a picture? Or the camera has difficulty focusing when I'm trying to take pictures of very tricky subjects, such as oddly textured rock or lava? I need a camera that is fast and reliable and the E410, for my work, simply isn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:45 am 

You originally said you weren't happy with the picture quality, and now you say the metering and focusing performance isn't up to scratch. It sounds like you have very specific requirements, so why not discuss them all so people can make specific suggestions.

Each system has its benefits and drawbacks and it's possible another system would suit your photography more.

Also, it would be helpful if you posted some images with disappointing picture quality.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:53 am 
have you even b othered with changing the metering? as the E410 has the same ones you'd find on the nikon and Canon cameras so saying the metering is wrong, therefore canon or nikon is better is moot. Reviews seem to like the AF other then only having 3 points. and for the most part some AF motors don't do to well with lower light or dark situations. It could also be your settings or having the AF point off that the rock isn't turning out right.
Needless to say you keep changing what's wrong with the camera, give us a full list of what's wrong and what you want in a new camera.