Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:54 pm 
Cheers guys, the flash i had was a bounce but if its no good :( , just as well i asked as i would have put it on ! ... now i need to ask what would of happened ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:43 am 

Quote:
do new cameras by good manufacturers generally give trouble or is it down to misuse ?

Doesn't matter who the manufacturer is anything can have a fault as an example, this recall for a part on a Bentley http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11395498

The thing that counts is how the manufacturer responds to the fault, so as in the above case a recall and this is what Nikon did with the faults on early D5000 http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-Sup ... isory.page

http://keystrokesukimages.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:46 pm 
Update... A Canon eos 500D was purchased yesterday , my daughters over the moon with it, Nobody in the house can move now without the chance of our photo been taken in multi frame mode ! bought it from a UK retailer Curry's, price £514.00, the manager said my old Cobra flash should work ,and when we got home and tried it ,it worked fine.
So that's the first item purchased, next she needs a Apple Mac laptop or desktop :roll:
Many thanks for your help guys, my next thread will be a new camera for myself but a top end compact :) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:54 pm 
When I read about a university level course I wondered whether the course has any equipment requirements, although you'd probably be aware of this.

With regards to older flash units. AFAIK the only thing to check because of potential damage are the trigger voltages. When they are compatible there shouldn't be a problem.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:10 pm 
Her university will supply camera's for 3 days at a time, which is a help i guess, and she can use the Apple mac's at university and bring her work home on a memery stick or SD card but they encourage students to have a mac at home, my dilemma is £1200 15" laptop over £999 21.5" desktop, both have some power and memory but I'm feeling the 21.5" screen is a better option, at the end of there day its her decision and she'll have to live with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:24 pm 
what programs are they usign that require a mac?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:36 pm 
The university have mac's only, as ( i'm told ) its better for the digital photography programs they use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:49 pm 
I call lies. most photo editing comes in the form of lightroom and photoshop both are on pcs too, I'd go ask what programs they use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:05 pm 
A bit off-topic for a camera forum, but here goes.

I'd get her a good laptop -- be it a Mac or PC. If you go for a desktop you may well save money, but will also be offering your daughter with a limitation to her using it in terms of portability.

We bought laptops for all our children when they entered post secondary school - and it was well worth it (in fact, we no longer have a desktop in our home -- everyone has their own laptops including my wife and I -- and no, that's not excessive - at least not for us). Macbooks are good products, but aren't cheap, and frankly, just because the school "uses" macs doesn't mean anything unless they have negotiated a discount with Apple beyond that "get a free iTouch with your Macbook" offer that comes out at the beginning of every school year. They cost Apple $100 to make -- max. Give me a cash discount any day and let me deal with whether I want the extra free stuff. If you go with Dell or HP -- or some other make, beware of all the bloatware that comes with it. Lenovo pack way less bloatware in their products, and they are very, very good -- especially the ThinkPad series - which are built like rocks. I've been using TPs for years, and they have been awesome.

Whatever you do, make sure you invest in as much on-board RAM and processor power/speed that you can afford. Like the lens of a camera -- fast processors and RAM together are better than a bigger hard drive or integrated web camera. Storage and peripherals are cheap these days -- you can pick up large external drives for a song and usb devices abound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:54 pm 
Don't forget about the video card too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:31 am 

I suggest you look at the Apple Education Store, up to 25% discount on UK high street retail prices and at this time of year ipod freebies thrown in, as well as preferential finance deals.

http://keystrokesukimages.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:01 am 
I have looked into to this a little as there seems to be a blanket price on all high st outlets and most of the internet sites as well, £30-£50 is all they offer between them but i guess it better than nothing.
My daughter needs to find out once she gets settled how to get the discount ,as 25% is brilliant, thanks for you advise :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:26 pm 

UncleBob wrote:
I have a bag with a much older Canon , its a eos 300 pre digital age, so she can have the bag, flash and brush kit...

Are there any lenses left? They are usable on the digital models as well.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:15 am 
Hmm..that's interesting, the lens on my old Eos 300 is a EF 28-90mm1:4-5.6, and that will fit on and work on a 500D ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:23 am 

Yes. Probably yes, but if it doesnt, your camera wont explode :wink:

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies