Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:12 pm

All times are UTC

Which is best?
Poll ended at Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:01 pm
Canon 550D 100%  100%  [ 4 ]
Nikon D3100 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Nikon D5000 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:01 pm 

Hi,
I am about to buy my first DSLR and need some help. I am stuck on deciding between the Canon 550D, Nikon D3100 and Nikon D5000. Which is the best and why?
Any help would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:40 pm 

Man, you don't say a bit of what are your needs on a camera, or anything else. You just ask which is the best of the 3 above and why. Take the time to search for posts, there's a lot of reviews on cameralabs, a bit more info on your needs may help.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:54 pm 

Sorry,
I want an all round DSLR with good video. I don't have any specific any specific tasks for the camera so just want an all round good camera with quite alot of features

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:49 am 
I'd suggest some time spent in a photography class perhaps might help you better understand what you will get out of a DSLR. If you are unsure as to what you want to get from a camera, it sounds to me like you aren't really ready for one yet.

Save some money, and consider either a Flip video recorder or a less expensive digicam with video until you are sure what you want to get out of a DSLR.

Last edited by jwnrw on Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:28 am 
jameswilby5 wrote:
Sorry,
I want an all round DSLR with good video. I don't have any specific any specific tasks for the camera so just want an all round good camera with quite alot of features

Any modern DSLR will do what you want. Some may be stronger in one area or feature than another DSLR but unless you have a particular requirement (huge images, clean high iso/low light capability, high frames per second etc.) then to be honest, any of the cameras you picked will suit you fine. Go into the shop, pick them up and see which feels best. If you have any friends with a particular brand DSLR, then get what they have as you'll be able to share knowledge and, more importantly, share lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:09 pm 
+1 - Welly gives good advise above. The camera that feels right in your hands is the one that will get used the most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:38 pm 
All of what they say above. Video on a dslr isn't that special other then the depth of field effects imo, and if you dfon't plan on using that get yourself a normal cam corder, zooming and focusing is much much better. Now onto dslrs. Find one that does what you want really well (since you don't know atm read around, look at photos too) and then narrow down your choices. When you've got a few selected go to your local camera store and try them out and use hte one that is the comfiest and most usable in your hands.
Personally I prefer Canon's ergonomics over Nikon and that's why I shoot with a Canon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:24 am 
Ok.. I think I will provide you a satisfied answer for this topic.
The first thing to know before you buy a DSLR is that THE CAMERA DOESN”T MATTER.
Does anybody knows what tools or paint’s DaVinci or Michaelangelo ware using? No. Of course it was the best, in that period, but who cares?
If u are a good photograph (which means ONLY that u are an artist NOT a geek) your camera won’t matter at all. If you don’t know how to drive, a BMW or a Honda or a Ferrari won’t matter very much.

Ok.. now let’s go to cameras. In my opinion, right now Nikon D5000 is THE BEST camera for the money. If you’ll consider Nikon D7000 which costs double, don’t expect your photos to be twice as good. Except full frame cameras (which costs more than 2.000 $) all other more expensive cameras are making THE SAME thing EASIER. The have more buttons (so you won’t have to enter in menu) and other stuff not very important if you know what to do.

1.) For me, one big reason I shoot Nikon is because I use Nikon LENS.
2.) Always think about price. I have recommend u a Nikon D5000 and with the rest of the money buy a SB-400 external flash. THIS ! will improve your photos especially if you will use it with “bounce”, trust me.
3.) For me, the menu on Nikon is just better. Doesn’t stays in may way of shooting.
4.) Nikon D5000 has flip LCD. For me this is important coz it can be switch inside for protection. So it won’t scratch.
5.) Do not consider any old camera like D80 or D200 (except D40 – which is terrific for the price).

So the answer is D5000 or if you find a D40 for about 350$ buy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:41 pm 

Quote:
5.) Do not consider any old camera like D80 or D200

Explain.
I know a few people shooting with good oldies, you can get those oldies for a very low price used. And what did you say about the camera?
O, I found it:
Quote:
THE CAMERA DOESN”T MATTER

Very clear :roll:

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:51 pm 
Quote:
2.) Always think about price. I have recommend u a Nikon D5000 and with the rest of the money buy a SB-400 external flash. THIS ! will improve your photos especially if you will use it with “bounce”, trust me
Only in certain situations, flash honestly isn't that useful, then again that depends on what t you shoot.
Quote:
4.) Nikon D5000 has flip LCD. For me this is important coz it can be switch inside for protection. So it won’t scratch.

My xs didn't get a scratch on it and i never put a protector on it, none the less a screen protector is like like 5$ and it's much handier then flipping the screen around all the time. I also find nikon's entry level menus a hassle to work with add slow, (d3100,d5000,d3000,d40,d60,d40x).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:57 pm 

I can only agree with you, Eagle.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:08 pm 
I take the view that Nikon's menu system on their entry-level DSLRs is meant for true beginners who will want the camera to do most everything for them. This can be great for beginners, or someone not making a lot of changes on the fly, etc. but can end up feeling tedious for more experience photographers who like to make adjustments quickly and easily. Oh - the days of my Nikon FM -- fully manual - simplicity in it's features and controls - and boy did I learn to take some cool pictures with it.

On the other hand - I find Nikon's mid-range cameras, to be in a different league on the menu and controls front. With direct access buttons and two scroll wheels, controlling the settings is much easier.

But -- then there's the question of build quality -- personally I find Nikon entry level DSLRs feel more solid in the hands then Canon's offerings. That's why we always recommend that you get the cameras you are considering in your hands and actually take some shots with them. There is no substitute whatsoever for hands-on testing of a camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:30 pm 

Hi I bought the Canon 550d as I felt the Nikon D3100 was to basic for me and didn't like the feel of either of the Nikons. Also two of my friends have Canon cameras and have a selection of lenses which I am sure I could borrow.

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:23 am 
Congratulations on your purchase. The camera that feels right in your hand is the one you will take pictures with the most.

Post subject: information
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:54 am 
Hello everybody

First of all, congratulations of your purchase!

I think there are some explanation I have to do on my previous entry. The camera doesn’t matter for photography itself. It is my honest opinion. But, the price does matter, the weight also. For your comfort, and comfort can affect your work. First of all, I could do all this explanations in my previous entry, but I was worry I could bored someone, although I’m sure I did. Anyway, why is it that with over 60 years of improvements in cameras, lens sharpness and film grain, resolution and dynamic range that no one has been able to equal what Ansel Adams did back in the 1940s? Buying a Bösendorfer doesn't mean you can play the piano. Buying a great camera doesn't mean you can create compelling photographs.
Cameras don't take pictures, photographers do.
A camera catches your imagination. No imagination, no photo - just crap.
It doesn't come from "lens sharpness" or "noise levels." David LaChapelle's work is all about his imagination, not his camera. Look at his photos and tell me the ISO !!! Joe Holmes' limited-edition 13 x 19" prints of his American Museum of Natural History series sell at Manhattan's Jen Bekman Gallery for $650 each. They're made on a D70.
Some celeb. professional photograph once said The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Hey, there's nothing wrong with the best tools, and if you have the money to blow why not? Just don't ever start thinking that the fancy tools are what created the work.
And now, piece de resistance. Here are photos made by a guy in the Philipines - with a cell phone camera !!! Ha Ha Ha!!! http://www.flickr.com/photos/40851237@N00/

Tell me Ruben123, what says to eye red on blue? And what says, you blue on red? Do you know this? This is more important then VR or Active D-lightning or 12, 14, 18 MegaPixel

Now, why I didn’t recommend Nikon D80. The difference between generations is significant. The best Gen 1 camera, the D2Xs, can't make pictures as good as the cheapest Gen 2 camera, the D5000, in most real picture-taking situations. BUT only if you are looking at 100% of your pictures.. (which is not very relevant in my point of view). The thing is, with 750$ what can u best purchase? This was my opinion.. A flash is very helpful.