Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Buying my first DSLR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:39 pm 
Hi all!!
I would like to start with photography and so i would like to buy a DSLR.So to begin with i am searching a quite good body for pictures but i would like to have video as well.My budget is arround the money of an EOS 550D.As i searched over websites and forums i chose the EOS 550D with a 18-55 lens.
I would like to have yours advice as well.So?

....Thanks in advance.Nice community here!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:12 pm 

I'd say it's a fine camera. I personally like Nikons ergonomics more, but if you like the Canon by all means go for it! an 18-55 lens is great to start, but be sure to get the IS version if you can. IS comes in handy sometimes, especially when you start out, and the lens is also optically a bit better than it's non-IS counterpart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:55 pm 

You should maybe start with the 500D (if you dont care video) and the 18-55 and 55-250 IS.
My opinion though.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:28 pm 
If he didn't care about video the 50D is a much better offer imo.

But I would suggest waiting until photokina is over if you can. Nikon might be releasing a D3000 replacement and other companies might share some secrets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:29 pm 

50D is, of course, better.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:57 pm 
Well..I would like to take photos from every moment.Action,portraits,landscapes,low light.I dont want a body to be best at a specification only (eg high fps) but have other spesifications low.
I would also like to use it in order to get some cool videos.
Also a cousin of me has many lenses for EOS 500D so i can borrow some.

That's why i chose this.Am i wrong on my choice?
Thanks a lot for your assistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:31 pm 
If you want video get the 550D but my advise is that you wait a month and see what nikon might release at photokina.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:03 pm 

The 550D T2i, as most other dSLRs in it's price range, is a very well-balanced Camera that can do a bit of everything well.

If you're looking into video, currently it's the only option good enough for professionals you'll find anywhere near that price. It's better than the 1000-1500$ camcorders, and it's in the same league as the 7D and the 5DmkII. The 5D has a bigger sensor, but an older software, so depending what you're filming, it's either the 5D or the 7D/T2i that will come out on top.

When it comes to photos, though, what makes a camera good or not in low-light, sports, portraits, etc, is the lenses you'll buy with it. A 800$ camera with a 2000$ lens will take better photos than a 2500$ camera with a 300$ lens.

I very strongly recommend a 50mm f/1.8 at 99$ on top of the kit lens (18-55mm IS), and a good telephoto lens (the 55-250mm IS seems very decent and is affordable, a 70-200mm would be better if you have the budget for it).

Like agun says, though, you might want to wait after photokina to see if the newer Nikon cameras will also have 1080p. If they can reach 1080p, improve their video quality a bit, and take their insanely amazing ISO noise reduction they have on their top model and put it in their lower models, then Nikon might be leading the video side for a while also. For extreme low-light (i.e. one candle lighting up a whole set), the top Nikon camera is already leading, but in any other scenario, Canon makes better videos.

In either case, though, the Canon T2i would at least still be good enough for professionals, so even if Nikon releases a better one in a few months, I don't think us T2i owners will feel the need to regret our purchase.