Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: DSLR or super-zoom?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 pm 
I'm Rich and I'm from the UK.

I found my way here by looking through various reviews on different cameras - I'm looking at something to replace my old & now dying Sony DSC-S600.

Assuming that people can give advice in intro topics, I'll ask here if that is okay? Should I post my query elsewhere as well?

The situation is, I need to replace the DSC-S600. It proved to be okay for the use I had of it. Over the past year however I have been making occasional use of a friend's DSLR. In fact I used that as much as I could while in France, and only resorted to my DSC-S600 for videos or if I didn't have the use of the DSLR at the time.

Originally I began looking at the Fujifilm Finepix S1500 and also the S2000HD. This is because another friend has an older Finepix model which seemed pretty good for its price at the time. I understand that these are regarded as "Super Zoom" cameras.

So putting it simply, I'm looking for either a Super Zoom or (somehow - budget probably too small for this) a cheaper end DSLR. I want it to feature video recording, preferably with the zoom function while recording too. Otherwise what's the generic-use best camera I can get for the £200 and below range (cheaper the better)?

If it is of any help, I'm happy for a camera that's 2-3 years old in model if it means I could get a very good camera that would meet my needs. I've also got access to lenses for a Pentax ME Super (I had heard some DSLRs will take the old SLR lenses?).

What are your thoughts?

Cheers!
-Rich.

EDIT: These are the types of video I like to take. And somehow the old Sony DSC survived a week of this. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Rich, welcome on-board! I'll move your question to the 'buying a new camera' section...

In the meantime, check out this article:

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/DSLR ... DSLR.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:08 pm 
Thanks. I had a look at that guide earlier, it reinforced my view that I'm after a Super Zoom or DSLR.

An issue I have experienced with both my DSC-S600 and my father's later Sony DSC-something is the colour depth. Some colours, like a pale light green seem to vary drastically in saturation - so much so it can look like a completely different shade of colour. Is this common place or just an issue on poorer performing digital cameras? Is saturation controlled by other means or is it one of the features like sensor sensitivity?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:15 am 
Having done some more reading on here, it would appear that a DSLR of any worth is impossible to obtain below £200 (let alone one with video capability).

Therefore it looks like it is the Super Zoom cameras that will be affordable, be it older models or second hand?
The big drawbacks I am aware of with these two is that during recording, if one uses zoom then the mic picks the mechanism sound up. I have also been reading the odd review that state that they have big issues with picture quality compared to a lot of Point and Shoot?
Does anyone have any alternatives to the Fujifilm S1500 and S2000HD?

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:38 am 

cant speak on that model but I owed a canon SX3IS for 2 years before I got my DSLR and loved it... it was a great little camera. I still have a SX10IS as a backup camera. In regards to picking up the noise of the zoom on the mic.. yes it does.

Absolutely no issues with pic quality with either of the 2 canon models I mentioned above.

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:42 pm 
The SX10IS is well beyond my affordable price range. Would you say that the older S5 IS is a good competitor/alternative to the S1500?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:35 pm 

I never had the SX5 so cant speak on it... With the SX20 out I'm surprised you can find the SX10 for your price range....

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:08 pm 
The cheapest I have been able to find of the SX10IS is £250+. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:45 pm 
The S9600 looks pretty good too? Any comments to share on that? Or is its sensor size going to let it down compared to the more modern Fuji cameras like ones mentioned before?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:41 am 

I've never used that one so cant speak on it.. hopefully someone else can...

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:56 pm 

The s5is doesnt have real wide angle.
it has only 36mm, when the sx10 has 28mm

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:31 pm 
That's quite a difference. But the advantage with bridge cameras like those is that you can attach a wide angle piece onto the end of the fixed lens, can't you?

Today I went to a couple of stores to have a look and feel of what they had. They only had the Fujifilm S1500 and S1600 in store, otherwise it was DSLR or P&S cameras. These Fujifilms I looked at are far smaller than I expected them to be. :shock: In fact they feel as though their grip is too small for me to comfortably grip and operate, whereas my friend's DSLR is far more comfortable with its larger body size and hand grip.

I never thought finding a camera that's a bit up from P&S would be so difficult. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:45 pm 
Well I've got a S9600 on the way now. Time to start learning more about taking photographs. 8)

Thanks chaps.