Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:54 pm

All times are UTC

SLR Camera
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Nikon D40X 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Nikon D80 75%  75%  [ 9 ]
Canon EOS 400D / Digital Rebel XTi 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 12
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:06 am 
Hi guys good afternoon..

I've have read some of the posts and there is a lot of very usefull information.. I really like this site..

This is my first post, I like to travel a lot and take a lot of pictures. I've been using a Sony DSC-S75 for more that 5 years, but I have 2 years wanting a SLR so I can reflect or express more the feeling of the place and the moment on the pictures. Now I decided to go ahead and buy a SLR and there are to many options.. My budget is about $1,000 and $2,000 but not only for the camara, this budget should cover the camera and if posible some recomended lenses, maybe a wide angle, im not sure..

I've seen the Nikon D40x, the nikon D80, the Sony Alpha A700 and the Canon EOS 400D but Im not sure whats the best mix.. for example the D40x with a set of lenses or the D80 with just one lenses.. or the Sony one..

I have seen all four models on stores and I like the handling or the shape of this models.. but I don't really have to much experience or know people who uses SLR cameras.. so i dont know to much about the features.. the accesories.. etc.. so my decision has to be based on recomendations and experiences..

Please give me your advices, recomendations and considarations.

Greetings and thanks in advance...

Carlos Rodriguez

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:26 am 
Hi happsmty. In my opinion these are all good cameras. However, a not-so-good lens will make them work not-so-good. Get the best lens you can afford. One good lens is usually better than two ordinary ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:32 am 

Hi Carlos,

A warm welcome to the CameraLabs forums.

Your poll covers a huge price difference for the camera bodies, at least here in the UK, with a D40x body available for around £320 and the Alpha A700 body for around £800, that last being more expensive than the Canon EOS 40D which isn't on your list.

As you infer, with a top budget of $2000 if you go for a camera in the price range of an A700 you can only afford the kit lens. Personally, I think you might find that this will be a bit limiting unless you can see yourself able to afford a second lens six months or so down the road.

Sticking to your suggested models (and so ignoring the Pentax K10D) you are now down to a choice of three. Given that the Nikon D80 is within budget then, looking at Gordon's D40x review verdict page, I think you would have a happier long term relationship with the D80. So now it's down to a choice between the D80 and the EOS 400D/XTi. :idea:

The 400D vs. D80 debate has a long an honourable history here on the forums so I won't add to it. When you say you've seen both models I assume you are implying that either is equally comfortable in your hands (important) so I think the best thing to do is to read Gordon's reviews of each camera carefully and also have a look at his 10 megapixel DSLR group test.

As Brian says, lenses are a very important part of the decision as the lenses you buy are likely to see use on more than one body over time. Have a look at the photographs you have taken with your DSC-S75. That will tell you what sort of lenses to look for to go with your new camera (wide angle vs. telephoto, indoor, sports etc.). Lens choice is a big subject which isn't that well covered on the Net but the articles here and here may help. Then it's down to seeing how well you feel either the Canon or Nikon lens and accessory system fits in with your own aspirations.

With all the above research done go and play with your short-listed models in the store again. By then you will know that any of those cameras can do the job so let your heart speak to you. :idea:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:32 pm 
Thanks for you comments and recomendations.

So I think now the question should be what lenses should i buy and make the mixes with the cameras to see wich one fits the needs and keeps under the budget.

I take a lot of pictures of people, so thats why i was thinking on a wide angle, but I also take a lot of pictures of buildings and places..

So what mix of lenses do you recomend to start my adventure on the SLR cameras..?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:42 pm 
If you go with the D80 ( I think you should ) you should just get the 18-200 VR. 18 is wide enough for good portraits of people and whatnot and you will also be able to get in close to far away scenary.. Plus you will have VR which from what I hear is pretty amazing..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:22 pm 
Have you considered the sound of the shutter? That's one thing you'll be hearing a lot. Compare the one on the Nikon to the one on the Canon and find out which one works best for you.

Having said that, the D80 + VR 18-200mm is one of the dream combinations of digital photography today.

Have you seen dream combination written or said about the 400D anywhere? You haven't, have you? I rest my case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:28 pm 
^^