Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:56 am 
I am looking into purchasing a DSLR. I like what I am hearing about the Nikon D40 and the Olympus E-510. I am being very tempted by a deal at my local electronics store, where the E-510 comes with two lenses, one 14-42 mm and one 40-150 mm. However, this kit is higher than my original budget. But I am trying to get feedback on whether the extra lense is worth it, or if I am better off with the Nikon as a beginner. Any help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:52 am 

Hi akam,

A very warm welcome to the CameraLabs forums.

As you can see, I've moved your post to the "Buying a new camera" forum as you are asking for help deciding between the Olympus E-510 and the Nikon D40. Hope you don't mind and hopefully you will get more replies here.

I'm sure you have already found Gordon's reviews of the E-510 and D40 (here and here). Additional reading on the forum which might be useful includes:
Unfortunately, most of these threads are discussing the D40x rather than the D40 but I think you should get value from them, particularly if you bear in mind the comparisons between the D40 and the D40x in Gordon's Nikon D40x review.

At the risk of overloading you with even more reading, if you haven't seen it yet have a look at Gordon's Best budget digital SLRs feature.

As always, we strongly recommend that you go down to your local store, if at all possible, and have a play with any models you are considering. To see why, have a look at the two following posts, very generously contributed by Ant1:
Good luck with your decision, and please continue to share your thoughts. :)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:58 pm 
Thanks Bob,
I was unsure of where to post this question, and I appreciate your help. I have been reading over the reviews on this site. (I am so glad I found it, it is wonderfully helpful!) I have also been shopping and playing with the different models at the stores. My first impulse was to go straight for the Olympus with the extra lenses, just because I am a bargain shopper. But I am very under-informed about lenses, so I am wondering if that should really be my deciding factor. Any help would be great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:04 pm 

Hi akam,

You've hit the nail right on the head. The camera body you buy will likely determine the lens system you commit to over the long term as bodies get upgraded and lenses get reused. I'm not qualified to advise on either Nikon or Olympus (4/3rds) lenses but I'm sure other forum members will chip in.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:49 pm 
Well I went for the E-410 and two lens kit - the 40-150 is a great lens, handles really well and is very compact indeed. Incidentally, I got the two lens kit from Curry's for £349 with a case £50 cashback. I sold the included 17.5-45 lens (or whatever it was) on eBay and got a new 14-42 - net cost about £350 for the whole lot brand new. That is a fantastic deal, when I think my old OM2n cost £248 in 1983 with a 35-70mm Zuiko lens! Although the viewfinder is a bit murky, I found most digital SLRs had a poor viewfinder so decided that wouldn't be a barrier and just got on with it. I like the good quality lenses from Olympus and the camera itself sits well in the hands and is a pleasure to use. I did try a Canon EOS 40D and its big IS lens and I am sure that kit weighed twice as much as well as costing well over twice as much, I really noticed lugging that around for a day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:09 pm 

I recently bought the Olympus 2 lens kit. I am accoustomed to using a wide angle so I didnt really think much about using the 40 - 150 in the kit.. well until I tried it shooting some portraits and outdoor shots.. and now I either have it on the camera or in the bag if I go out. Its decent quality, especially for a kit lens. I paid less than $100 for the 2 lens kit vs. the body and 14-42. The bundle is the only way to go.
You should also consider an Olympus me-1 magnifying eyecup... it makes a huge difference in the viewfinder. It not only increases the size (1.2x) but also increases the eye relief distance making the viewfinder much more friendly to those of us with glasses. its about $40 and seems expensive until you try it a few times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:09 am 

I have an Olympus E-510 and got it over any of the entry level Canonc and nikons basically because it has (In my opinion) a better Kit lens system. The lenses that come with the S40 and the 400D are not very usefull and ultimately, when you get a few newer better lenses, you will end up not using them.

I went for the Olympus because the 4/3rds system will mean that I can use any lens from Panasonic, select lenses from leica, sigma and any Olympus Zuikon lens.... In theory, the 4/3rds system is the only system where you can interchange lenses from other Camera Brands.... And to be honest, Im kinda tired of canon lenses due to the fact that if you want good decent lenses you gotta buy into the very expensive L series range, and there are cheaper Leica lenses that do (I believe) a better job at it...

BUT... BUT BUT BUT....

Go into a store find a camera thats FEELS and looks right to you.... You want it comfortable... also, the features - see what kinds of features you want and if it provides them for you.

Leo

4) Leica M [50mm Summicron Pre-aspherical - Silver]

http://www.poetproductions.net