Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:01 pm 
Hello Gordon,

I'm currently a college student studying art that is about to take a digital photography class. For this class, we are required to purchase a D SLR camera with at least 7mp. Here's the thing though. I'm a beginner and don't have a whole lot of money to spend, but I want a camera that I can take into my career once I graduate. Something that wont be obsolete when I buy it, even though in the world of technology, that happens no matter what. I just want wanted to get your opinion on some cameras I should look at. Ive already watched a lot of your video reviews on You Tube. Id really like to get the Nikon D80 and Ive found a few websites that have it for pretty cheap, 1wayphoto.com for example, but I was also looking at the Olympus E510. Another kicker is, I need the software that comes with the camera to be compatible with my Mac book. Well, in all, I just wanted to get a professionals opinion.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:16 pm 

I'd steer clear of 1wayphoto if their reseller ratings page is anything to go by. Basically if a website's prices are too good to be true, they usually are. Always look at Reseller Ratings before buying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:17 pm 

Hi pnburd,

A warm welcome to the CameraLabs forums.

As you can see, I split your question out of the "Sticky" thread. A benefit of creating your own separate thread here is that forum members can immediately see your question so you might get better responses.

I'm sure you have already found Gordon's best budget digital SLRs feature. As you are considering the Nikon D80 (excellent camera) you might also want to check out the Canon EOS 30D which now sells for a similar price to the D80 thanks to the launch of the 40D. Check out Gordon's Canon EOS 30D review and, in particular, his verdict page.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:11 pm 
I thank you for helping and also keeping me from getting the shaft on buying my first DSLR. Well, now that i know the D80 price iwas too good to be true, what do all of you recommend.

Olympus E510
Nikon D40x
Canon 400D XTi

thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

Hi pnburd, all three are great cameras, but have quite different looks, feel and features, so I'd advise picking up and handling each in person first.

As for comparing the features, see our E510 verdict here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Olymp ... dict.shtml

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:07 am 
Hello pnbard,

Even though I am a "devoted" Nikon user, I'd go for the Canon 400D or a Sony Alpha A100 based on your circumstances. Also, all those cameras are great choices so it really boils down to how much you can spend.

I have price compared four 10-MP cameras with their kit lens, based from B&H photo (My favorite place to shop)

Sony Alpha A100: $66.90 Per megapixel
Canon 400D: $65.90 Per megapixel
Olympus E510: $58.50 Per megapxel (On-Sale!)
Nikon D40x: $61.90 Per megapixel

Considering they all come pretty darn close in price, now come lens choice, features, etc.

Hope this helps! :D