Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Upgrade dilemma!!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:27 am 
Hey all,

My current camera (and first camera) is a Canon 400d/xti. Ive been shooting for over a year now with quite a bit of success, and more work keeps pouring in!! However, as i grow more critical of quality it becomes apparent that i am in need of an upgrade! This is where i need help.. do i buy a better camera, if so.. which one (in prefer canon) do i make a small upgrade, or do i go all the way to the top? Or, is my camera fine for now.. and maybe i should just concentrate on new/better lenses?? (i currently own
a canon efs 60mm, and a tamron 11-18mm)
-btw, my work consists mostly of fashion/abstract work.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!!
rk[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:39 am 

Hi rk,

A warm welcome to the CameraLabs forums.

I'll admit at the outset that I'm in the "happy snapper" category and so am not qualified to advise which way you should go but maybe I could ask a couple of questions?

My first thought, having had a look at your web-site, is that I like your style. 8) The Flash pages don't allow pixel-peeping so my first question is what aspects of your picture quality is causing concern.

It's mega-expensive to obtain a significant increase in sensor resolution. If you are considering a medium format camera then you might be interested to read this Mamiya ZD digital back review by Frank Doorhof (and check out some of his work here). Then, of course, there is the Canon EOS-1Ds line or the new Nikon D3.

For great IQ without breaking the budget so badly have a look at Gordon's Canon EOS 5D upgrade feature. Some great prices are to be had on the 5D at the moment with the anticipated launch of it's successor fairly imminent.

I guess the trouble with all of the above is that you end up throwing away your current investment in glass unless you keep the 400D/XTi as a spare. I upgraded from a 400D to a 40D recently and have been delighted with it but I think it's fair to say that while it offers extra bells and whistles the IQ is not significantly different from the 400D though maybe its high ISO performance is a little better.

You have asked your question about lens upgrades here where I am sure you will get good advice.

Do you think you need to upgrade your lighting system? Again not my area, but it occurs to me that you might get the most bang for your buck there.

Good luck with your choices.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:51 pm 

I think is wise to invest in lenses rather than a new camera. But of course that depend on your budget. An Eos 40D would be nice as well, if you want to stick with Canon. I'm saving for a Sony Alpha 700, but haven't got any lenses yet.
So the best thing for you to do, I think, is to buy a 40D with a higher end lens, something like a 16-35mm of if that's to expensive (costs 1499 euro here in Holland) a 17-85mm.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux