Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:52 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:35 pm 
Hi everyone,

This is my first posting. I have been reading through many postings, as well as reviews on this wonderful web site. I think I'm in the right place to ask my questions, which I'm sure have been asked by many others, so please be patient with me.

I currently have the Canon SD850 IS and want to upgrade to a DSLR. My older cameras are the Canon AE-1 (with the standard 50mm lense - gave my mom my zoom as a gift) and Nikon N80 (with Tamaron AF Aspherical XR LD 28-300mm).

I am considering the Nikon D80. A friend recommended either the D80 or Canon 40D; however, in reading these many reviews and comments, shouldn't I be comparing the D80 to the 400D?

Can anyone tell me a little bit about using RAW? A friend of mine says she only shoots in RAW but I'm totally green on that subject. If important, which camera is better for that?

I love taking pictures. I travel a lot (usually to Europe) and take various types of pictures: Inside churches, outdoor markets, flowers, (love taking macro photos), landscapes, sunsets, people.

Not sure what else to add, so fire away.

Thanks!!!

Monica

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:38 pm 
PS: I meant to ask: Will my Tamaron lense fit the Nikon D80? And is this a good lense? Or should I invest in a better one?

thanks,

Monica

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:58 am 
im not in any position to comment but iv been told the d80 is much better compaired to the 40d. i was thinking of getting a 400d but im going with the 30d now. would love a 40d but cant afford it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:06 am 
Hi Monica.
Welcome to Cameralabs forums.
Regarding your questions, your Tamron lens should fit the D80 but be aware that since the D80 is not full frame, you should multiply the lens zoom range by 1.5 (by 1.6 in Canon 400D and 40D). This means that your lens will become equal to 42-450mm.

About the Cameras, in my opinion, the lines of Canon and Nikon are not the same. I think that the D80 is somewhere between the 400D and 40D, so you can compare it to both.

Liron.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:50 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Monica, yep, the D80 is inbetween the Canon 400D and 40D models.

It really depends how much you have to spend... check out the Budget DSLR and Semi Pro DSLR sections under the Best Buys menu for the models we'd recommend...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:12 pm 
Also Canon should be bringing out a new version of the 400D in the first quarter of 2008.

You may want to wait and take advantage of the new features of the 40D that should be on the 450D but are not present on the 400D. But it depends how long you want to wait.

About RAW:
http://tinyurl.com/gym53

Google search:
http://tinyurl.com/327v9h