Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: D40 with 18-135 VS KD10
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:46 pm 
I know I know, two different animals. For about the same money I can get either one. This is the thought: Get the D40 with 18-135, to later on upgrade the body to say, a D80 or D200; or get the KD10 with kit 18-55, to later on upgrade to the new 18-250.
Adorama is also selling the D40 with the 18-55 and 50-200 VR for about the same, that would be another option.

Any advise on any of these choices?

And for the Pentax guys, has anyone had a chance to play with the 18-250, or heard anything good/bad about it?

Thanks a million, great website and great forum. I enjoy it a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:16 pm 
Hello FZ6guti, and welcome to the cameralabs forum!

For me, both of these cameras are excellent performers for my usage since I'm just shooting as a hobby, but the Nikon D40 or D40x doesn't have the AF motor built in so you'll have to manual focus when using traditional AF lenses. My personal opinion is go for the Nikon system since they often give consistent, good results and they have a bigger variety of lenses to get the job done.

Keep me posted! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:56 pm 
Hey FZ6guti, A Welcome from me too!

Both cameras are great. Both solid and reliable.. You may be inclined to go for the D40x with the wide range of lenses available. But remember as Fearless Leader said it will not autofocus with any [non] AF-S or Af-I lenses.

I havent had any experience with the K10d, but i have heared nothing but good things about it. Weather sealing, Shake reduction and Dust removal system to name a few!. I think a few of the forum members have a K10d. Have you read Rei_Vileo's review of the K10d?.

Not much info but hope it helped :oops:

Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:02 pm 
Well, most - if not all - modern Nikkor lenses are indeed AF-S. So it's not much of a problem, anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:03 pm 
jay1 wrote:
But remember as Fearless Leader said it will not autofocus with any [non] AF-S or Af-I lenses.

There is still a pretty wide variety of AF-S / AF-I lenses to choose from with almost any kind of lens you would want.. they might be a little more expensive but if your not looking to buy lots of lenses than I think the D40 would be the better choice.. I am getting a D40 with 18-135 for Christmas and planning to buy the 70-300 VR later on..

Post subject: D40 with 135 and 70-300
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:38 am 
Thanks for the comments.
Adorama has this combo (D40,135+70-300 VR) for just over 1000 bucks, and it is so tempting. It really sounds like a great deal.
On the other hand now you can buy the KD10 with the 18-250 for about 1000 bucks too (with the rebate). I've played with both at stores and I really like both.
Once in a while I do hear complaints about the KD10. I almost never hear anything bad about the D40 or the D80. Also, nobody knows anything about the Pentax lens, while most people seem to agree that both the 135 and the 70-300 are great lenses.
If I end up spending between 600 and 1000 dollars I want to make sure that I will be buying a system that I can grow with in the future. That, and the complaints I've been reading about, regarding the KD10, keeps me leaning towards the D40.
Pentax users please feel free to try to steer me in your direcction with your feedback.
Thanks.