Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Which solution?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:07 am 
Hello

This is my first post. Sorry if it's a bit long but I wanna make clear what I want. The only camera I have ever owned is a old Nikon Coolpix which is really really bad.

I've been reading a lot about cameras, pros and cons, and of course seen the reviews here.

So here it goes:

I'm really interested in a DSLR because I'm fascinated in the image quality and possibilities. PS:CS3 is a hobby of mine, so working with images that way is not difficult for me.

Money is of course an issue (max. 500 dollar) so I'll maybe go for the Pentax K100D Super 18-55mm.
Pro: Cheap and gives me time to grow/11 point focus/Shake Reduction/Anti Dust.
Con: 6MP/Menu somewhat odd

Type of images will be mosty Nature/Action/Portraits. I don't want to change lenses often, so in the future I could see myself buying a good 18-200mm lens. And if I really get hooked a 40mm 1.8 or lower lens.

What do you guys think. I mean, if I choose Pentax I will most likely be stuck with Pentax bodies for a long time. Is there a better solution for me?

I also considered Olympus E-510, but is has 2 kit lenses (if I need >55mm) and 3 point focus. Nikon d40x has no antishake/antidust, 3 point focus and lenses a expensive. Canon 400D is getting old and the lenses with IS are also expensive here.

Thank you for your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:44 am 

Hello

I was recently in the same position as yourself, and I settled for the D40X based mainly on how it felt in my hands. It does not have built in antidust or antishake, however, you do get a reasonably priced 55-200 mm VR lens from Nikon for around 220$. I am very happy with mine so far. I prefer seeing the antishake in the lens over not seeing it at all (which you can't when VR is in the body so youll have to take its word that it its working). However since you mentioned money being a problem, I think one of the cheapest DSLRs around right now are the D40. Its basically the same camera as the D40X only with 6 mp instead of 10,2 mp. That being said, I think it sells for around 480 $ now at amazon with the 18-55 mm lens, which is a decent kit lens. As I haven't tried the Pentax camera I can't really comment on that. You would also want to consider what kind of lenses and to what price they are available for the body you buy.

When it comes to the AF on Nikon D40X, I haven't really experienced any problems with it not locking on what I want or focusing wrong (even in almost complete darkness I don't have a problem). I shot a rugby game not long ago and I was actually surprised at how well it worked. Though for action sports, I would suggest locking the AF at the target while tracking it, and ss I mentioned I cant really speak for the Lumix camera and how that works in this regard, just don't hang yourself up in the megapixels or the AF points as it is also important to see hwo they work and look in practise (perhaps try them out in a store even).

I think the best advise I can give (Im sure others with more knowledge can elaborate on specs etc) is to look at the camera, hold it, feel it and listen to it (maybe even smell it if your into that sort of thing :) ). Ultimatley thats more important than many features like anti-shake, antidust, Megapixels etc. because it is what will make you enjoy taking lots and lots of photos.

Hope this helps a little

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:03 am 
Thanks...

The first camera I considered was the Nikon d40x, but again, I think it's to expensive considering it has no Antidust or Antishake. The menu is real good for a beginner. I just think the whole Nikon deal would be too expensive in the long run. Flash and Lenses with VR and so on.

I have been to stores and had my hands on some DSLR's, but didn't get any smarter for that reason :lol:

On one hand I don't want to compromise quality and on the other hand I'm afraid I will "overkill" by buying something to fancy/expensive.