Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:03 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:16 pm 
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and also relatively new to the world of DigiSLRs. I have been trying to decide which camera to start with. I have read positive reviews for all cameras mentioned in the subject title. There are aspects I like about all the cameras. Is it worth waiting until January to see if the EOS-450D will be any good? Also, how long has the E-510 been on the market? Any chance they'll bring out an upgrade as soon as I buy the 510?
I'm leaning most towards the Olympus and Canon cameras because of my dad and brother respectively. My dad has the Olympus E-1 (soon to get the E-3) and a shed load of Olympus lenses. However my brother is similar with the Canon side of things— so I can borrow good quality lenses for both.

thanks in anticipation,
Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:55 pm 
Welcome!

Even if the Canon D450 is announced in January, don't expect it to be available right away.

As for the Olympus E-510, I think you better read this. This camera was announced in March 2007 and made available to the general public in June 2007.

Maybe the Canon 400D would be your best choice, if you want to buy now? Since you can borrow good quality lenses by that brand, that's the one I'd suggest.

When you do decide, please make sure you go through the affiliate stores page, to support Camera Labs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, further to Luis' links, we've compared the features of all these models in the verdict of our E-510 review here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Olymp ... dict.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:07 pm 
Hi again,
Thanks for the speedy and informative reply. I looked at the link, Gordon— again very helpful. I had a look at the 3 point autofocus system on my dad's old Olympus E-3. I was using a 200mm lens and didn't find it too hard to focus on distant moving objects. However, I have limited experience with SLRs and I'm sure there will be a time when I would maybe want/need 9 points, but I can live with 3. As I have been occasionally using my dad's camera for a few years whenever I go to his house, I have grown accustomed to the 4:3rds viewfinder size, so doubt I will feel limited by it.

As for lenses, I like the fact that the Olympus comes with 2 kit lenses. I looked at the Canon one in the shop and felt the kit lens seemed a bit flimsy. At the moment I'm leaning towards the E-510. However, I'm going to wait until after Christmas when I can afford it.
Thanks again,
Benjamin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:38 am 
Me too! Im for the E-510. Live Viewfinder really helps, especially in uncomfortable situations.