Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:16 pm 
Hi leonak
Having held both Canon 400D and Nikon D80, I went for the Nikon D40X instead, not because the two were inferior but rather because of what I could afford.
However, D80 felt solid and comfortable - a very important point to note.
While 400D was smaller and did not felt too good in my hands.

Not very informative I know, but its the best advice I can offer for now, based on the brief 10-15 mins I held those two.

DavidL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:17 pm 
spoke to a friend of mine who is a proffesional photographer today. he said he really didnt think the d80 could be compaired to the 400d and that an equal would be the canon 40d. this is way too expencive for me so i thought maybe 30d? i need to go and look at it because it looks quite heavy and that might be an issue for me. im back to square one now because im concerned the build quality of the 400d might not be good enough. im not going to be in a position to updgrade at any point in the distant future so its essential i get it right first time! i can find 30d's quite reasonably priced used in the states but obviously il have no warranty in the uk. do things go wrong with these cameras very often?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:43 pm 

Hi leonak,

Back on track after the wine whinge the 30D body is just under $1000 from Adorama in New York whilst the 40D body is $1300 from the same store. I appreciate that these numbers are a significant step up from the price of a 400D or a D80 but if you are thinking of a 30D then it seems to me that the extra $300 (£150) is excellent value if you can stretch that far.

Can you recover the additional 8% sales tax (not sure of the precise figure there)? Then, of course, your Mum has to bring the camera back into the UK. :evil:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:23 pm 
its the warranty that concerns me mainly.. i spoke to b and h today and they arent offering international warranties as of monday and so far as i know canon dont either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:29 pm 

As for the warranty, it's a fair point. If you can't get an international warranty you have to take the chance that the camera won't fail within the warranty period. It is unlikely to do so, of course, but if it does you pay for the repair so it's a bit of a gamble. Does the D80 suffer from the same lack of an international warranty?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:28 pm 
b&h said they think nikon and pentax offer worldwide warranty but i didnt really like the feel of the d80. it was a bit bulky in my hand which i realise could be a problem with the 30d. im not sure where to go if i have the same problem with the 30d but il see tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:32 am 
It does, unfortunately, affect the D80 along with all their DSLRs, compact digital cameras too( film cameras are an exception). However all Nikkor lenses come with an international warranty. Here's the info on Nikon UK's website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:47 am 
i weighed my canon a1 with 28mm lens this morning.. 850g which was a real suprise! iv never found it heavy to carry up mountains even with extra lenses so i cant see how i can have been bothered by the 580g odd weight of the d80. i think it was more the size considering that im used to such a small camera. im going to go back and have a proper look today. im going to look at the olympus e-510 and pentax k10d too. the canon af system does appeal to me though so im not sure how flexible i can be! iv seen a couple of 30d's refurbed by canon with a years warranty going for half usual rrp so iv got that option if i like it.