Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: G9 or E-510?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:57 pm 
It may not be fair to compare the two however they are on the top of my wish list. I was thinking about the G9 for a carry everywhere camera and something like a EOS 40D for when I want the best out of my pictures. As I look at these and similar cameras I have a problem with the size of the higher end dslr and wonder how often I would carry one.
And after using a G7 and not liking my indoor results and slow shutter lag, I find myself comparing the E 510 for its size and other features. If it had a 3in LCD and better view finder it would be an easy decision.
So I like the G9 for size, 3 inch screen, looks and other features but wonder about indoor use and speed. I like the E-510 looks, size, probably better indoors and faster speed but wish it had a bigger screen and better view finder.
I just can't decide and hoping to get some perspective that may help me decide. Maybe another camera I'm missing?

Thanks for your comments

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:48 pm 
Site Admin

Hi d12bn, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

Before suggestion any other models, I'd say you need to work out if you want a DSLR or a non-DSLR. I wrote an article which should help with your decision here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/DSLR ... DSLR.shtml

Gordon

Post subject: Hey
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:13 am 
Gordon,

I've been all over you site and already read this as well. Still on the fence and was hoping you would give me a push.

Thanks Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:59 am 
Site Admin

Well you know me! I'd always recommend a DSLR unless you absolutely can't accommodate their size and weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:19 am 

Hi Jack and welcome,

I have to say that I'd go with the E510 over the G9. I really like the G9 for what it is, but if given the choice of only one get the dslr for sure. To minimize weight and size though take a look at the smaller sibling the E410, it doesn't have anti-shake, but it's extremely compact and give you all the benefits of the dlsr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:38 pm 
Here's another way to look at it if you're undecided:

1 Not everyone needs an DSLR
2 Everyone needs a point-and-shoot camera.
3 The G9 is one of the best p&s you can get. In my opinion, the best at the moment.
4. Get the G9. If you want to get into DSLR later, you'll already have a great p&s - the G9 - which is always handy to have.

Caveats to this logic:

1 more $ potentially...two cameras.
2. You already know you want to do macro, or need telephoto, or will be shooting in situations needing high ISO performance (i.e. museum without flash). These are situations were G9 is compromised compared to E510. If these apply to you, then get the E510.

A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:36 pm 
You seem to have decided that you will get the E-510 if you do get a DSLR, is there a particular reason? The are other DSLRs at a similar price if you don't like the E-510's smaller viewfinder. If I'm not wrong, the Pentax K10D has the largest viewfinder of all the cameras around that price range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:31 am 
I was comparing the two as well. I would like to have a camera that is capable o capturing videos but I also wanted to capture very nice images with faster shutter speed.

I ended up choosing the E-510. I have read from other threads and forums that G9's images from beyond ISO 200 are not that of good quality.