Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:43 pm 
So... I'm a stranger to the world of DSLR, but im bored of my digital camera underperforming and determined to get a decent dslr, to hopefully start studying a photography course next year.
I'm not looking for a specific feature or brand, i just want a good first dslr usable from the box (but from what ive read it would be wise if it had some kind of anti shake feature/option, i have very unsteady hands not exactly ideal for picture taking i know), and i want to be certain in the fact that i have bought the best camera for my money, as i suffer from extreme buyers remorse when i see a better one advertised the day after for less money.
I am by no means flush with money to be able to just buy another one.
ANY help would be appreciated as to which is the best all round buy for upto £1000 thank you!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:53 pm 

Nikon D80 with the "kit" 18-70mm & the 70-300mm VR for long shots should be around the £1000 mark. It's the combination I'd have went for with the benefit of hindsight. Only image stabilisation on the tele-zoom but that's arguably the only time you'd need it. I have no idea how steady your hand is but I don't think I'm Mr Calm and I'd get away with the above system.

Good luck,

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject: Welcome
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:19 pm 

Hi retrofire,

A warm welcome to the CameraLabs forums.

Nice budget and I'm sure you'll get lots of help spending it! :wink:

As you may have seen elsewhere, the feeling on the forum is that there is no point blowing your budget on a wonderful body if that means you don't have much left over for lenses. Also, any lenses you buy are likely to outlast several bodies. On that basis you are probably best off looking at budget DSLRs and Gordon has written a feature summarising the best of the current crop which you can read here. As always, once you have a short-list of models it is essential to handle the cameras in the store before you buy.

Lens choices are, of course, informed by the manufacturer you choose but I would also urge you to consider the lens and accessory system associated with each manufacturer. You may decide that some cameras simply aren't for you because the rest of the system may not fulfil your future needs. Also, remember to leave a little in the budget for a separate flash gun and/or a tripod - it's possible they might be needed for your course.

Do you have any ideas yet about the sort of photography you want your new camera to do really well. That information might help forum members offer better advice. :idea:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:43 pm 
Thanks for your help so far! :) i can't tell you how much i need it!

I'd like the best all rounder camera, however,
I really want my camera to be able to take decent moving pictures, like animals or people, it doesnt have to be really quick stuff like sports/ racing etc, but my current camera takes ages to take a photo, and by the time it does, its out of focus and the moment has passed, such as that stretch of the lion or the friend falling off the trampoline, which also blurs the picture beyond recognition.

I like to take my camera everywhere, im the one who holds everyone up just to take that 'one last photo', the size of a dslr doesnt put me off because i often have my backpack with me, as long as it isnt Really Heavy and can put up with a good amount of usage without the battery needing replacement after a week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:15 pm 
Welcome!

Both Nikon and Canon offer very nice cameras and lenses and, when you have a budget such as yours, it becomes more of a matter or personal taste.

If it was for me - and again, this is a matter of personal taste - I'd go for the Nikon D80 + Nikkor VR 18-200mm f/3.4-5.6.

You'd get an modern, performing DSLR, with a lens that will be enough for your wide angle and telephoto needs. No need for extra lens!

To quote Gordon, it's one of the dream combinations of digital SLR photography today.

See the video review of the Nikon D80.

See also the video review of the Nikkor VR 18-200mm.

You can get this combo at amazon.co.uk for GBP 994,00. Just make sure you buy via the partner sellers page, to help Camera Labs.

Post subject: Canon EOS 450D?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:49 pm 
i pretty much decided... after a LOT of deliberation... that i'd like to buy the canon 400D because i just like it the best really, however, when i spoke to a guy in the camera shop he advised waiting until the new year for the anticipated arrival of an EOS 450D to success it!?!

I've looked around but this is still only a rumour in reality, does anyone know anything about it? and if i should wait until the new year or possibly february to buy it. i really wouldnt mind waiting if i was certain it was coming out soon, but i am a little impatient and would naturally like it as soon as possible as i am planning a december trip to london i would like to use it for...

ARGH!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:58 pm 

ARGH indeed! Don't forget to factor in the possibility that the 450D is likely to be more expensive than the 400D. Also, the current Canon cashback promotion is due to run out at the end of the year here in Europe and the 400D currently qualifies for a £50 rebate (in the UK).

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.