Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:04 am

All times are UTC

Good lenses or good body?
Lenses! they last way more than bodies 87%  87%  [ 13 ]
Body! What would you do with a good lens if you have a poor body? 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 15
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:56 am 
This question/poll is clearly following the one on NewEntryLevel/UsedSemiPro. Let's see it from another angle.

I was wondering... if one wants to buy his 1st DSLR should he be more concerned about buyin' a good body or buying an entry level with a good lens.

I mean, the lenses remain and maybe grow in number, the bodies tend to grow old very quickly in these digital days. Not as it was with the old film SLR! You would have been satisfied even with a 15-20 year-old camera!!

So, what's your policy? Take the poll! And remember that we're talking about the first DSLR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:09 am 
When you buy your first DSLR, do you want to spend a lot of money on a top camera that you probably won't be able to use at its full potential?

Write down what features you really want. Then get the camera that has those specific features. Don't waste money with "bells and whistles" you won't use anyway.

While today's top camera body will be outdated in a couple of years, a lens will last you for a lifetime - provided you take good care of it.

Get the camera that does what you really need and, if your budget allows it, treat yourself to a nice lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:46 pm 
A friend of mine who is way more into photography once told me, "It's all about the glass".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

Great question!

Easy as it is to be drawn in by a new DSLR body, you'll quickly find yourself disappointed if you can't get the lenses you want. So I'd say, if you have a good idea of what lenses or effects you may be after in the future, then choose a system based on optics first. Then go for the most suitable body from that manufacturer.

Of course this is easier said then done for many of us. You may have no idea what lenses you want in the future, or be flexible when the time comes. If this is the case, then I'd say it's fine to be driven by the body first!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:33 pm 

Glass first!

I may only have a 350D but I now have 4 lenses, soon to be 5!

You can have the best camera in the world, but if it can't see much or see properly, then its not much use is it!

Canon 400D is an excellent choice, as is the D40x for a cheaper body.

I wouldn't go above a D80 on Nikon or a 40D on Canon. (not that you'd want to, thats where the Semi-pros jump in!)

400D Body only + Wide angle + Standard Zoom + Telephoto/Macro and thats you covered for almost every situation!

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:38 pm 

Well, I voted for glass-priority, too.
But if you look at ant1's stories switching from Canon 40D to Olympus E510 to Nikon D80 you get the strong feeling that a body can be very important.
So choose wisely: if the body doesn't fit you all the good glass is going to waste...