Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:02 am 
Hello!
I'm new, I write from Italy and I really like a lot this site...
...I've decided to buy my 400D looking the rewiew on this site...
Now I need a compact camera becouse the 400D is to big and I can't take it with me every day...I was thinking to the Canon G 9...I like the "new" RAW mode and the control that this camera gives...
Let me know how do you think about it and if you agree my choice or not and why!!
Thanks a lot!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:09 am 

Hello and welcome to the Camera Labs forum. There's a lot of great people around this forum with some good advice and best of all they offer it without any attitude.

The G9/G7 are great choices. Now that the Digic II processor has a software hack you can buy the G7 and install the CHDK hack and get raw from the G7. If you don't feel like hacking your camera, I didn't, then go for something like the G9. It's fantastic and I would buy it over again if I had to.

From the research I've done and the posts I've read the search for a top of the line compact usually comes down to a few choices:
Canon G7 or G9
Panasonic Lumix LX2 (16:9 sensor)
Nikon Coolpix P5100
Ricoh GR Digital (fixed 24mm lens)

All of these offer RAW shooting (G7 with CHDK hack), manual controls and are relatively small compared to your 400D. The LX2 has a unique native 16:9 sensor that makes for some creative shooting, but then again you can always crop with the other cameras. Gordon has a good review of the G9 you might want to look at.

[Edit - typo]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:42 am 
Site Admin

Hi Grinch!

As Steve says, we've reviewed the G9 here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_G9/

If you want a smaller compact though, and are happy to lose some manual control, then I can also recommend the Panasonic TZ3, Panasonic FX33 and the Canon 860IS / SD 870. All very strong compacts, but none with RAW or manual control.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:19 am 
Thanks a lot for your quick asnwers!
I've seen the Gordon's grate rewiew on the site...I watch that rewiew every day... :lol: ...I think I will buy that camera...just another question...
I've seen that the G 9, as a lot of compact, has some problems with noise over 400 ISO...what I wanna know is if this noise made the pictures taken with 400 and over ISO completely unusable or if they will be anyway acceptables ,obviuosly closing an eye on the quality that will never be the top, so, finally, I can use 400 ISO and over or I have not to use them at all?
Thanks again for the answers and again congratulations for this useful site!
(and the useful rewiews...expecially the video rewiew)
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:38 am 

TheGrinch wrote:
...what I wanna know is if this noise made the pictures taken with 400 and over ISO completely unusable or if they will be anyway acceptables ,obviuosly closing an eye on the quality that will never be the top, so, finally, I can use 400 ISO and over or I have not to use them at all?
:wink:

It's nearly impossible to escape noise on anything less than an APS sized sensor. I consider 400ISO my upper limit for using the G9. I haven't made any prints using the G9 yet but I think that a small print of A5 or less would probably be acceptable looking. I do like the way the G9 handles noise though. I feel like the engineers decided to let the the user deal with the noise instead of the camera's processor smearing all the details. I think everyone has their own views of noise and what's acceptable so hopefully others will post their opinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:22 pm 
Hello there,

I have used the Nikon coolpix P5100 and it is a very serious peice of equipment. The features are like a DSLR with manual, RAW and so much more.

Keep me posted! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:29 pm 
If you want a camera that will fit in your pocket and stay within the Canon range, you could check out the Canon Ixus 75. I've used one and it works great (but it does have some inherent limitations, due to being a compact).

There are even Canon Ixus models that have stabilisation (such as the 850 IS), although that makes them a bit more expensive.

Depending on where you live, the Canon Ixus range may be sold under the Canon Digital ELPH name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:31 pm 
I've ordered the G 9!!!
When it arrives I will post my opinion on that camera...
Thanks a lot to everybody!!!
Your answers are been really usefull!! :wink: