Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:46 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:44 pm 
I have decided I'm not quite ready for a DSLR. For one thing, I don't have the money. Also, this is only my second digicam. I believe I would do better to get a Point and Shoot first before investing in a DSLR.
So, basically, I have narrowed it down to the Canon A720 IS and the Panasonic FZ8. I like the FZ8s long zoom and RAW capability, but I like the A720s extra megapixel and possibly better higher ISO performance. Do the images taken with the A720 in JPEG still look better than the FZ8 in RAW?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

1 megapixel won't make any difference in real life, so don't base your decision on that. I can't comment on the noise of the 720IS so can't comment there - sorry!

Have you rejected the new FZ18 on price? If not, then I'd go for it over the FZ8. But if price is an issue, the FZ8 is still very good...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:46 pm 
Is the FZ18 better than the noise on the FZ8?
I found the FZ8 refurbished for $190. The cheapest I found the FZ18 was $330. I think I'll get the FZ8, unless the image quality is a lot better on the FZ18.
Of course, I'm not going to be buying the camera until January, so it's possible that the FZ18 will be a lot cheaper by then. I hope so, because the Face Detection and the 18x lens are nice. But, if it isn't any cheaper, I can't see spending $140 extra just for those features, unless the image quality is a lot better.
Also, how does the IS compare on these cameras? From your video reviews, the FZ18s looked slightly better, but I don't know.
Thanks for your help!
digicamdude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:01 am 
Site Admin

As for noise, you'll have to compare our images and judge for yourself - check out the Outside noise and Gallery pages of each review.

As for stabilisation, I agree! I think the FZ18's stabilisation appeared more effective on-screen than the FZ8...

Gordon