Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:59 pm 

Hi,

I think I narrowed my choice for my first DLSR to the Canon Rebel XTi but noticed it does not have spot metering.

Can someone explain why I would need spot metering?

I want to use the camera for "normal" family photos and of course to take photos of our new baby due in January. :D

Oh yeah...AWESOME site, I'm very happy I found it.

Thanks,

Mitch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:47 pm 
Hello, mitchel and welcome! Oh, and congratulations on the baby. :)

Spot metering is used for when your subject is lighted very differently than its surroundings. For example, you want to take a photo of a person who is in the shadow, and the background is a well-lit white wall: if you use area metering, the person will probably look to dark.

I rarely use spot metering. But you may need it, depending on how photo opportunities present themselves to you.

Are you sure the Canon XTi / 400D doesn't have spot metering? Maybe it calls it by other name?

Anyway, read this to learn the basics of how exposure works.

There is also a great tutorial by Nikon (with most of its information not specific to Nikon users) that shows some photo techniques.

Now, if Camera Labs had tutorials... (hint, hint)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mitch, to confirm, the 400D / XTi doesn not have full spot metering, but it does offer center-weighted and partial, along with its evaluative system.

I'm with Luis on this one - I rarely use spot metering myself and find if the image comes out, say, under or over exposed, I just adjust the settings and try again. The exception of course is when you don't get a 2nd chance, but then you need to be experienced enough to know which settings are likely to work best for that upcoming 'moment'!

Ultimately I wouldn't worry too much about not having spot metering though unless you're an enthusiast or a pro.