Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Which DSLR?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:30 pm 
I don't know what DSLR I should buy. I like the D40, but it seems to be a little low in megapixels. Since my budget is under $450 (I found a used D40 for $400 with a lens), I don't really have many options. Are there any other DSLRs (maybe older models?) that are a little higher in megapixels and just as cheap as the D40?
I'm thinking that maybe if I wait a few months I'll get some good deals on other used DSLRs. How is the image quality on the Pentax K100d, Canon XT (no i), and D40x compared to the D40?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:58 pm 
Well, from what can be seen on this unbiased review, it seems to me that the Nikon D40 is far superior to the Canon 400D, in image quality, when both are used with their respective basic kit lenses.

If you want a DSRL that will get you started and will give you good results, go with the Nikon D40. It is a beginner's camera and it does have its limitations. It delivers what it promises, for a fair price.

The 6 megapixels are limiting, if you do a crop to about half the size of the original photo: the quality of the print you get out of it will noticeably decrease.

Also, there are no dedicated buttons for some settings, which means a little extra time to set those up. But there is a custom button that you can program to any particular setting you like to change more often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hi digicamdude, further to what Luis has said, check out our budget DSLR Buyers Guide:

http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/ ... DSLR.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:13 pm 
Thanks for the replies.
I'm thinking I'll either go with the D40 or save a little longer and get the D40x. Would a lens that worked with the D40 work on the D40x too? If I ever want to upgrade this may be important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:16 am 

digicamdude wrote:
Thanks for the replies.
I'm thinking I'll either go with the D40 or save a little longer and get the D40x. Would a lens that worked with the D40 work on the D40x too? If I ever want to upgrade this may be important.

All lenses that work on the D40 will work on any DX Nikon camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:45 am 
I think the Nikon D40/X are great cameras. You can't go wrong. But as one would say try them first in your hands. But you HAVE to require yourself trying other cameras too, it's a must because you don't want to limit yourself and this helps you tell the differences. And THEN...follow what your instinct is telling you.