Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:00 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:12 am 
I'm planing to buy Canon G10. Is there anything better (I'm talking about compact cameras) than that? Is it the top camera in this range?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:41 am 
the G11 was recently announced, you might want to look at that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:24 pm 
When the G-series was introduced, it fit into what was then called the prosumer camera category. This was because while it had the size of a P&S, it also had more advanced features including manual, aperture and shutter priority modes, able to shoot RAW, etc.

The G-series continues to keep strong ties to the higher end of the P&S range providing DSLR-like capabilities with P&S size and format (including smaller sensor, slower speed, etc.).

For what you pay, there is alot of camera to be had here.

To echo Cameraguy, I'd be looking at the G-11 which was just announced, but also would still consider the G-10, as prices will drop with the introduction of the new model.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:32 pm 
Justine.C wrote:
I'm planing to buy Canon G10. Is there anything better (I'm talking about compact cameras) than that? Is it the top camera in this range?

Yes, the better camera is called G11 and will be released soon ;)

If you don't need a camera as rugged as the G-Series with the same image quality, have a look at the Canon S90 as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:38 pm 
Nostrum wrote:

If you don't need a camera as rugged as the G-Series with the same image quality, have a look at the Canon S90 as well.

Good point. The S90 is a nice package for the price. But it's still a P&S though :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:28 pm 
You should perhaps check out the latest in the Panasonic Lumix series..where are we at now..LX3 or something.

Cheers :-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:29 pm 
jwnrw wrote:
Nostrum wrote:

Good point. The S90 is a nice package for the price. But it's still a P&S though :wink:

wellll.. full manual control, arguably even better controls than the G-Series (TWO direct dials), RAW. It might still be a P&S, but a premium one. And anyway - the G10/11 are just P&S too if you ask me :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:24 am 
The G10 is probably the BEST compact point and shoot out there. If you can, wait and see how the image quality of the new G11 compares and then choose between the G11 and the S90.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:31 am 

grahamnp wrote:
The G10 is probably the BEST compact point and shoot out there. If you can, wait and see how the image quality of the new G11 compares and then choose between the G11 and the S90.

The lens on the G10 isn't the greatest. I would prefer the f/2-f/2.8 of the D-Lux or LX-3, which should be getting replaced now, since the LX-3 was competing with the GX-9 2 generations ago. :D

www.flickr.com/glxlr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:59 am 
S90 is great because the lens and very clean image at iso 400, very good at iso 800. If you don't need hot shoe for external flash, get S90, If you need hot shoe then get G11 or Panasonic LX3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:18 am 
I assume it's the LX-3's max aperture that you prefer over the G10's because the Panasonic's lens is definitely much softer. If it's DOF that you want, the G10 can achieve that with it's longer focal length. It's not the same, I know, but I think the G10 is a better package all round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:31 am 

grahamnp wrote:
I assume it's the LX-3's max aperture that you prefer over the G10's because the Panasonic's lens is definitely much softer. If it's DOF that you want, the G10 can achieve that with it's longer focal length. It's not the same, I know, but I think the G10 is a better package all round.

Well, to be honest, we all know the G-10 sucked at high ISO. I guess the G11 will address this problem, having less mMP than the past 3 generations.

(I really like the small package of the LX-3)

www.flickr.com/glxlr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:57 pm 
LahLahSr wrote:
You should perhaps check out the latest in the Panasonic Lumix series..where are we at now..LX3 or something.

Cheers :-)

The LX3 is definitely a camera worth checking if you're in the market for a high end compact, even compared to the G11. The camera literally has a cult following. The LX4 is rumored for early 2010 so it's successor is ways off.

Like the rest have said the G11 was just announced so I would wait a bit longer for it to start hitting the store shelves instead of getting the G10 now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:07 pm 
S90 sounds a very good deal to me but have you ever though a Sigma DP2 P&S Camera? which arguably the largest sensor for the P&S Class but its focal zoom length are kinda fix though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:29 pm 

Gordon's review wasn't too good for the siggies though...