Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:37 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:09 pm 
Hello, first time user. I'm in the market for a premium compact and am trying to decide b/w the Canon SX10 IS or the Panisonic Lumix FZ28. I was leaning towards the Lumix for the HD video and the battery, but now I just saw that the Canon SX20 is about to come out, which includes RAW capabilities and HD video. Now I'm pretty set on the SX20 unless the reviews are just bad for some reason. I just wanted the pro's opinions on this matter. I'm tired of my casio's point-and-shoot lack of versatility and am looking forward to making this more of a hobby, but not so much to go with a DSLR. I do a lot of traveling and that was my intention for the slim Casio Exilim, but I'm ready to give up the extreme compactness for some muscle and versatility, especially for night pics and distance.

Best,
-casey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:53 pm 

...you can get RAW on the SX10 via CHDK. Or, if HD is a must, you could move up to the SX1.

Or you could go with the successor to the FZ28, the FZ35 (aka FZ38), but I personally prefer the vari-angle LCD on the Canon. But if you're willing to sacrifice the vari-angle LCD (which seems to be the case) as well as some zoom power for a more compact form factor (more convenient for traveling), you could go with the ZS3 (aka TZ7). Although, you should be aware that there currently aren't many 3rd party apps that can work with the AVCHD-Lite format that Panasonic uses in these cameras. This will probably change in the coming months, tho.

And finally, since you mention night shots, you should note that Canon's G11 has a slightly larger and more sensitive sensor than (I think) all of the above, meaning it will have better low-light performance. Probably not DSLR or even micro-four-thirds level, but better than the other compacts mentioned. No HD video, tho. :(

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:11 pm 
Thanks for the advice Mark. I forgot to mention my budget, which is around $400, another reason I was looking in the SX10 / FZ28 region. The more I read, the adjustable LCD on the Canon seems like a great feature. Along with the added HD support on the SX20, not to mention the shoe for an added flash, it seems like a solid option for my case, for the price and my needs/wants.

Any advice on what accessories would be handy, to make this camera more enjoyable?

Best,
-casey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:28 pm 
Go with a Canon g10 or g11 or the panasonic luminix. I would go for more optical zoom then the most megapixels. Reviews here and at Steves Digicams are good.