Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:08 pm 
Hi all, I was just wondering what people thought of purchasing cameras/lenses from stores in the US over the net and having the items shipped to the UK.

I have been looking at the new EOS-40D + various lens options, and with the current USD to GBP exchange rate, several hundred pounds could be saved over UK prices (even when taking international shipping costs into account).

Are there any reasons you can think of which would prevent you from doing this and taking advantage of the currently weak dollar?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:42 pm 
hey Icyblue . Welcome to the forum!

Iam buying from the Us at the moment saving around £400.

I have family contacts in America so it makes it easier as when they come and visit they can bring goodies over :P . Do you have any relatives or friends there?

Also you could hop on a cheap flight over, go test your epuipment while your there and still save a few hundred pound.

Obviously theres the troubles fomr ordering on the net of when your purchase comes, if it has faults. The returns may be pricey.

Just things to think about

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:06 pm 

Hi IcyBlue,

I'd like to add a warm welcome (no pun intended) to the CameraLabs forums.

Remember that camera bodies attract VAT when imported into the EU and that lenses additionally are dutiable. Often these charges are paid on your behalf by the courier and then charged to you. If, somehow, that doesn't happen then remember that cameras and lenses have serial numbers so if you travel abroad with them there is always the chance you will be asked to account for them if you get stopped by Customs & Excise on your return.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:22 pm 
Thanks for the welcome guys :D

@jay1 - Yes, I have some family contacts in Tampa, Fl. Trouble is we've only just come back from a holiday out there so probably wont be seeing them for a while now.
If anything turned out to be faulty, I would hope that I could deal direct with Canon in the UK, but it's certainly worth thinking about.

@Bob - Good point re. the VAT and duty - that would make quite a difference :?

I think I might just hang on a while and see how the UK prices pan out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:14 pm 
also too, I think that if you ever break the camera, you'll need to ship it back the US, because US products have that USA only warrenty, (read the fine print) but you can still save significant amount of euros

Keep me posted! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, as the guys say, there's two big cons to this:

1: If anything goes wrong, you'll need to return it to the US.

2: If customs stop it - which they probably will if it's being posted - then you'll incur tax and duty at a total of approx 25% the value.

Buying in the US can be great but for the best savings, you'll really need to deliver to a domestic US address and collect it in person. And then you'll have to decide whether to take a risk with customs at the UK end. Legally, you should declare it and pay the duty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:55 pm 
Having weighed the pros and cons I've decided not to take the risk of a US purchase.

Thanks for all the replies, you've helped make my decision easy!

P.S. Excellent video reviews Gordon - much nicer to see equipment actually in use, rather than just still pictures, keep up the good work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:59 pm 

Arn't gifts exempt from TAX and Duty going from US to EU/UK?

IF so get those relatives in Florida to post the camera + lenses you decide on over!

IF not, then well, you can take your chances, and you might not get caught, but if you do, then well, 25% payout i'm afraid.

But if you do go abroad anytime soon, then you could just accidentally put the box in your suitcase and forget about it and only remember when you get home and open it up 8)

(I feel electronics should be like cigarettes - first 200 exempt from duty and tax! What a steal lol - PS Hong Kong apparently for some cheap high quality electronic goods, although Turkey and Iraq apparently get pretty cheap ass computer kit like cpu's and graphics cards, not sure about cameras though)

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:17 pm 
Site Admin

Sadly gifts are not exempt.

The UK does give you approx £150-£200 tax free allowance on goods you personally bring in with you, BUT if the item costs more than this amount, you're taxed on the whole amount. So that rules out all but the cheapest compacts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:23 am 
Well as you know now I bought my E510 in DC and never battered an eyelid walking to and from customs. As for warranty, I have a 1 year WORLDWIDE (INTERNATINOL) warranty which will be repaired in my nearest OLYMPUs stockist (I rang OLYMPUS before I bought it) and this was also confirmed to me by email.

I know I did not get it posted but I did save a hell of alot, so when I sell it for my D300/E3 I will hopefully break even!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:47 am 
Site Admin

That's good to hear you got a worldwide warranty, but always check first as many companies don't offer them. Bizarrely for instance, Nikon offers worldwide warranties on lense, but not for DSLRs...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:04 pm 
iv been looking into this alot recently as a relative is going to new york in a couple of weeks. i want to buy a canon and cant see any mention of a worldwide warranty anywhere. its worth noting for importing by post that for some reason digital cameras that dont record videos are free from some duty charges..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:34 pm 
Site Admin

Remember VAT and duty are separate things, so while a camera which doesn't record video may have lower duty, you'll still be liable for 17.5% VAT when importing into the UK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:07 pm 
Add state tax, delivery to the UK and 17.5% duty and you have what Gordon stated as about 25% on top of the price of a US online purchase.

Online stores have to state the correct purchase price to UK Customs and Excise. They get many requests to lower the purchase price but it is against the law and they can get in to serious trouble so they won’t do it.

For electrical equipment I would stay in the UK and just find the best price.