Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Image size using macro
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:32 pm 
I am a keen natural history photographer and am considering buying a panasonic fz 18 due its size lens length and quality. I have read the review with great interest. However one aspect that is very important to me is the size of the image that can be achieved using macro. I understand that at 28mm equivalent it will focus to 1cm. While impressive this is of limited practical use in wildlife photograpy as any living insect butterfly etc will fly long before the lens gets that close, and even with flora camera shading is likely with small subjects.
I understand from the review that on telephoto macro setting the lens will focus to 1 metre between 12x and 18x. Can anyone please tell me what the coverage is at the closest distance that can be achieved? :)

For instance with my current camera an old Casio 3500, the lens in focus full-frame will cover 5.9 cms at wide angle and about 6.2 cms on 3x optical. Does anyone know if the fx18 can match that?

Can anyone recommend any of the other super-zooms for close-up work?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Kiff, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

Just for you, I got hold of the FZ18 and did some measurements...

At wide angle and almost touching the subject, I managed to capture an area measuring 3.5cm across, but inevitably with quite bad distortion. Zoomed-into 18x, the closest focusing distance is 1m, so the best I could get was an area measuring 10cm across, but with virtually no distortion.

Hope that helps!

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Laing on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:40 pm 
Thank you for taking the trouble Gordon and for doing it so quickly, that was very helpful.
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:21 pm 
Kiff,

I've done macro field-of-view measurements with my Panasonic TZ3. Closest focus with this camera is at low zoom ratios (less then 2X), but the 'Tele-Macro' also works well at high zoom ratios, giving minimum subject distance of 620-700mm and better bokeh. I found the best Tele-Macro close-focus (and hence smallest FOV) was zoom just short of maximum, so 9.5X at the 7MP setting, 11X at 5MP, or 14X at 3MP.

Here are the best (smallest FOV) results:
-----zoom-focus-FOV width
7MP 1.4X 22mm 37mm
7MP 9.5X 620mm 97mm
5MP 1.7X 22mm 32mm
5MP 11X 700mm 100mm
3MP 2.0X 22mm 24mm
3MP 14X 700mm 80mm

I was using graph paper as the 'subject' and didn't notice any distortion in those tests.

Hope that wasn't too confusing. BTW, zoom ratios between those shown all gave substantially longer close focusing distances.

I wouldn't be surprised if the FZ-18 had similar behavior regarding best close focusing relative to its zoom (similar lens design to the TZ3, I believe), but I have no direct experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

Hi David, I just wanted to say hello and welcome you to the forums! Thanks for a helpful and informative first post!

Gordon