Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:05 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:57 pm 
Hi guys

I've been thinking about getting a low/mid rage DSLR. After read all the camera review, my option was EOS450D and i really like the camera. Anyhow the price is still bothering me. It's aroung MYR2900 here(Malaysia). for low end eos1000D is around MYR2k. But I recently saw the Sony HX1 which is only MYR1700 which is whin my budget.
I am a beginner for photography and main reason getting camera is take photo of sceneries or and creative photo as my hobby. I don't really like point and shoot camera. i want to play around the camera as you can do in DSLR. As i see,this HX1 do have some manual control as DSLR. and i know the photo quality won't be as good as DSLR. i think 9mp will be good for me since i won't blow the photo. another draw back for HX1 is there is no RAW format.
Do you think i should go with sony hx1 or go for low end dslr like canon 1000D or sony A200? Anything else I should be considering ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:22 pm 
I take it that the Sony HX1 is a superzoom?

If budget is an important factor, you need to remember that you will have to buy lenses for your SLR camera too. So that's additional $$$.

As you already indicated, the image quality from even a budget SLR will likely blow away most if not all point and shoot cameras, including any superzooms. If you are serious about photography (and it sounds like you are getting there), I say go for the budget SLR.

May I ask what type of camera you have right now? If the HX1 is not going to be a considerable upgrade over what you use now, then definitely go with a budget SLR. Check out Gordon's picks for budget level SLR's. The picks are a bit outdated, but it's still a very good starting point for the less expensive SLR's in the markete.

http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/ ... DSLR.shtml

Hopefully, that was somewhat helpful. Let us know what you get!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:26 pm 
Hi
It;s certainly a upgrade since i'm only use normal point and shoot camera and my hp camera C902. Does this Hx1 have manual focus. How about low light or night shot. Do you think will be giving good result. Most of the camera will performe well in bright area. But when come to night shot or low light shot, only some camera performe well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:40 pm 
I don't know much about the HX1, but generally speaking, any budget SLR is going to have better low light performance than even the best of point and shoots. The sensors in the SLR's are bigger. And you can also equip the SLR's with faster lenses, which would further increase the light gathering capabilities of the camera. If you foresee doing a lot of low light photography, my thinking is that you should go for a SLR rather than a super-zoom point and shoot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:57 pm 
if you want to print large size photo dslr is better. For normal size hx1 is good. And sometimes videoclip and superzoom can be worth1000 photos of high slr quality and Sony's video is good.
So for the begginer i suggest hx1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:56 am 
Get the D90 - or even D80 or a Pentax.

I came to this forum first about a month and a half ago just to ask about the HX1. I actually ended up buying it , i used it , it was okay.

Its funny because I ended up buying a D90 and I am now into photography.
With lot of help from cool peeps on this site , I succeeded.

Check out my Mexico pics in my the travel thread. A week before I went I did not know nothing about photography , I know my pics arent the greatest but they aint bad either.

HX1 is nice but why not spend a bit more and get DSLR , man you can snap some really good shots, saves your money too if you start getting into photography and want to step up.
________
buy vapor tower

Last edited by goldengloves on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:10 pm 
Hi guys,
thanks for the comment. Anyway is there any sony hx1 owner out there? Hope you could tell me some detail on hx1 apature setting and low light phtoes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:03 pm 
Hi there,
i decide to buy budget dslr as mentioned by Armanius. My aim is EOS1000D which is near to 450D. Anyhow i wondering. hope pro's could help me out on this..

As i know i missing HD video recording and 10fps (only 1sec) in 1000D by compare sony hx1.
what does missing in HX1 compare eos 1000D? can anyone could help me on this..
Thanks anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:40 pm 
Hi, I use Sony hx1 about one month. As i made photo in day time all pictures are good. In low light sony has powerfull buildin flash, effective in 10meters (1,5-2 times more than any other buil in flash). with tripod and shutter speed priority pictures are good in very low ligt, only colours are a bit colder also with hand-held twilight mode.
Video mode is also good even in 20+zoom is possible to make movie without tripod. Only zooming is not so quick as in canon sx1. there is no video button and you need to set the mode dial and cant make photo during video like in sx1. But photo quality with hx1 is a little better, sharper than sx1.
The panorama making is interestin too in hx1
So if you are not a profy i think Sony hx1 is worth to buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:36 pm 
Hai guys...
finally i made my mind. i bought Canon eos1000D. i feel great on the camera. since i;m very new to dslr, most of the time i'm using 'P' mode.
Anyone have tips for dslr newby...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:46 pm 

Read through the forums, and check out tutorials. digital-photography-school is a great place to start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:51 pm 
Thiyagu wrote:
Hai guys...
finally i made my mind. i bought Canon eos1000D. i feel great on the camera. since i;m very new to dslr, most of the time i'm using 'P' mode.
Anyone have tips for dslr newby...

TV mode and low shutter speed on waterfalls = worth the price of DSLR alone.

As someone who's now had a DSLR for about 3 weeks it's best to practise ALOT, especially with the settings and don't worry so much about results.

Often i've found myself just experimenting with different settings to get the right feel.

Also make sure you read through the manual a few times, and the tutorials on the Camera Labs main site are very helpful.

HAVE FUN!