Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:05 am 
I tested both the D80 and 40D today at Best Buy. The D80 feels great in my hand but I found that the 40D fits my hand better and is much more solid because of it's magnesium alloy body. I took a few pictures with both cameras a found that the D80's had better detail and the 40D's came out fuzzy. I heard that if you add to the sharpening in the menu it really helps. I didn't get to try this because the 40D did not have a compact flash in it and half of the drop-downs were absent. I would just go straight for the nikon but the 40D has some features that I find very useful to me, such as sensor cleaning, 6.5 fps, Utility software. My question is, can the 40D give detailed images like the D80 by just adding a few notches on the sharpness?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:28 am 
I would probably recomend the D80 since it is cheaper and for the price of the 40D kit you could get a D80 for $1250(including tax if you are in the US) at Circuit City plus a SB-600. That is a great setup right there, and total it cost less than the 40D with only a kit lens.

As far as IQ goes, they will basically turn out the same. If you need a ruged body and live view, then go with the 40D. If you like doing things like portraiture and still life, than a D80 would be a cheaper buy. Plus as you said you favored the D80's feel and I always think you should go with what feels better.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:36 am 

RushRocket wrote:
...My question is, can the 40D give detailed images like the D80 by just adding a few notches on the sharpness?

Yes. The reason is that both sensors have the same number of pixels and so, with good glass, give the same resolution.

Anyway, now that compact flash cards are so capacious there is every reason to shoot in RAW + Large Fine JPEG. If for any reason you don't like the processing used to produce the JPEG, and that is fully adjustable in the 40D, then re-process using the RAW data. Canon's supplied (free) software makes downloading and working with RAW files a breeze and, as with most cameras, there are lots of third party tools out there as well.

Don't forget that, while the camera body is the big part of the initial purchase, in time your major investment is likely to be in the lens system and accessories as bodies are usually upgraded. If the D80 and 40D are neck and neck then do have a careful look at the lenses you are likely to buy in the future and decide which system suits best.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:40 am 

Please continue at this thread here: http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1436
We'd like to keep all aspects of D40 vs. 80D together in one thread.

Thank you!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]