I don't even want to have another camera in consideration.haha.
I think I might just go ahead and get teh D80 if the D300 doesn't come out in Nov. I just think it will be easier than going through all that hassle. Then when Summer rolls around I can maybe go and pick up a D300 body.
You made a decision to get the D200 if the price was right and failing that you would get the D80. OK, a little flexibility is fair enough if you think that the D300 introduction will force down D200 prices significantly. However, I get a sense from what Gordon has just written that this isn't
going to happen significantly before the New Year. You've got a good game plan going now: check out the prices in November and then buy your new camera.
Where did this idea of buying a D300 in the summer come from? Are you now intending to have two bodies or are you rich enough that you can take the depreciation on your new D80 or D200 by selling it after just six months? That sounds like an incredibly bad idea unless you are intending to buy a used camera (which might hold it's value) in November.
P.S. I know how you feel. Really.
I went through a similar hand-wringing exercise when deciding whether to buy the Canon 40D or wait for the 5D successor. I went for the cheaper option in the end which meant I had a little left over for some new glass.