Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:47 pm 

Nathan wrote:
Well if I did buy a D200 I really wouldn't want to upgrade to a D300. I would focus more on glass and other things. I mean I would take a D300 but I would be happy with what the D200 has.

Nathan, I think you have just told us that your D200/D300 buying decision is not based on utility but on some sort of "feel good" factor. :wink:

In that case, IMHO no one on the forum can help you. Personally, I like "feeling good" and if that means buying toys I can afford I do it. If I can't afford the toys then I wouldn't feel good about buying them so I don't and, even more positively, I don't worry about not being able to afford them either.

In the kindest possible way, I don't think this thread is helping you come to the decision that only you can make.

Good luck.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:09 pm 

Hey Bob, you were young too (once upon a time). Me too :lol:
And you know how we were: Couldn't wait until next christmas, couldn't we? Had endless discussions with ourselves when (and how) to upgrade to that Revox tape-recorder and how to get our shaking hands around a McIntosh amp, not to mention the Klipsch-Horn.
Always short on money and patience and long on the wish-list (does this make sens in english?)!
That's the way we were.
Now today's youth is entitled to the same fever, and we should give paternal advice (not that this helps much)...
Thinking back to times long gone by :roll:

Last edited by Thomas on Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:37 pm 

Ah, Revox :D

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:33 pm 
The D200 to me is kinda a feel good thing, but the obvious choice is a D80 and I will but that if I don't hear that the D200 drops a few hundred in price. So as of right now I will buy the D80 at the begining on Nov. but if I hear that the D200 will drop to about $1400 or less I will buy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Nathan, I bet when the D300s finally arrive in the shops around December / January, there'll be price drops on the D200...

Have you also considered second hand? I bet a few well-healed D200 owners may be upgrading to a D300 just to have the latest and best, so there could be a flood of D200s on ebay and in camera shops...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:05 pm 
Yeah, I am gonna decide D200 or D80 on the amount that the D200 drops.

If I can get a D200 with 18-70mm for about $1400-1500 then I will get it. If not I will stick with a D80.

Does anyone know when the exact date of the D300 launch is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:20 pm 
Site Admin

Who knows?! I'll say this for Canon - when they announce a new DSLR these days, it's generally available for sale very soon afterwards (1Ds Mark III excepted!). But Nikon has a bad habit of announcing, then keeping us all waiting for ages - and even then having very short supply for months afterwards.

I'm being told December January at the moment, but these are goalposts which move all the time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:36 pm 

I hear Panasonic have an SLR now. Might be worth looking at.

Zorro :wink:

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:51 pm 
I don't even want to have another camera in consideration.haha.

I think I might just go ahead and get teh D80 if the D300 doesn't come out in Nov. I just think it will be easier than going through all that hassle. Then when Summer rolls around I can maybe go and pick up a D300 body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:09 am 

Nathan wrote:
I don't even want to have another camera in consideration.haha.

I think I might just go ahead and get teh D80 if the D300 doesn't come out in Nov. I just think it will be easier than going through all that hassle. Then when Summer rolls around I can maybe go and pick up a D300 body.

Nathan :!: You made a decision to get the D200 if the price was right and failing that you would get the D80. OK, a little flexibility is fair enough if you think that the D300 introduction will force down D200 prices significantly. However, I get a sense from what Gordon has just written that this isn't going to happen significantly before the New Year. You've got a good game plan going now: check out the prices in November and then buy your new camera.

Where did this idea of buying a D300 in the summer come from? Are you now intending to have two bodies or are you rich enough that you can take the depreciation on your new D80 or D200 by selling it after just six months? That sounds like an incredibly bad idea unless you are intending to buy a used camera (which might hold it's value) in November.

Bob.

P.S. I know how you feel. Really. :!: I went through a similar hand-wringing exercise when deciding whether to buy the Canon 40D or wait for the 5D successor. I went for the cheaper option in the end which meant I had a little left over for some new glass. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:53 am 
Iwas just very confused there, what I mean is just to check out the prices on the D200 next month and if they don't go down I am gonna pick up the D80.

I know this is extremely annoying to you guys, but I am not sure if this got mixed up in all the conversation that I am gonna get teh D80 near the beggingin of Nov. unless I see a significant drop in price on the D200.

I think that I should go wtih Bob's route and get the less expensive body and a nice lens. I know some have you have already told me to do that but I just figured it out for myself, coming from me, that I should do that.

Final Verdict:

Get a D80 near the begining of Nov. unless the D200 price drops a few hundred.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:57 am 

Nathan, for your own good: fix a price and a date at which you go this or that route NOW. Otherwise you'll be discussing this thing over and over again on the 5th of November, the 15th, the 21st, etc. .
And write it down here: "I'll decide on November xxth, and buy a D80 until the price of the D200 went down to yyy".
It helps to fix and communicate goals, believe me :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:30 am 
Hehe Tom.

Ive had to do that a few times. Swaying between decisions :lol: .

Just wrote down what i was gonna do and did it when the time came. Although many a time i have been sitting pondering for months. :P

"Shall i go this one.. hmm maybe that one i think its better... NO that one :twisted: "

Goodluck in whichever decision you make Nathan. I think you will be happy with the D80 and invest in a few goodies to go along with it dude.

Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:50 pm 
I think I will do that, and you guys can go ahead and close this thread when you want.

I see myself getting the D80 now becasue I can get a...

1)D80
2)18-135mm
3)MB-D80
4)50mm f/1.8

all for the price of a D200 body.

I think the D80 sounds better.haha.

I made my decision and if I do for some reason decided I am gonna go bother you guys with another thread like this, go ahead and lock it down.haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:56 pm 

Nathan wrote:
I think I will do that, and you guys can go ahead and close this thread when you want.
I made my decision and if I do for some reason decided I am gonna go bother you guys with another thread like this, go ahead and lock it down.haha.

Great camera and some nice bits to go with it. You won't regret it, I'm sure, and in a couple of years you'll be ready for that D400 so start saving next year!

I've locked the thread as you requested.

Bob.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3