Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:20 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:57 pm 

Hi all, i have decided to buy my fist DSLR.
The options that are available to me (economically) are:
Nikon d40
Canon 350D
Olympus Evolt 410

Please suggest the best option or should I consider Canon 400D?

d40 was my first choice as its simple, but i came to know that it can only
autofocus with specific lenses.
350D seems to better option, but its rather an older model.
Pls help me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Vishak, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

Several of the cameras you're thinking of are compared in our E-410 verdict here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Olymp ... dict.shtml

Make sure you pick them all up in person as one will almost certainly look and feel better than the rest to you...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:01 pm 

Firstly a warm welcome to the forums!

Well, I only just got a 350D a month or so back, and for a "older model" it performs just as good as the 400D will!

Depending on how much you will change the settings, like ISO, White Balance, Metering mode etc, will also effect your decision, especially if you are in to photography where you subject isn't going to stand in one place for very long, or if you can't afford to miss a shot - On the Canon 350D, there are dedicated buttons for this, in the Nikon D40, you have to take a slightly longer route through a menu or two to get to them, and as for the Evolt 410, I can't comment as I don't have much knowledge on this camera.

On the D40, you are correct but don't let this put you off, there are still a good selection of lenses you can use, I will let some of the Nikon users on the forum tell you more about that though as they will probably know more.

As for the 350D, I can certainly help you there, but i'll try and keep as neutral a view point as is possible.

Gordon has a few comparisons in IQ (Image Quality, and also noise levels etc.) here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon400D/
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon350D/

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon400D/page4.shtml
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon ... ge4b.shtml
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon ... ge4c.shtml
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon ... ge4d.shtml

Hopefully those should help you a little in your decision, and if you need any more help, don't hesitate to ask .

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:56 pm 

From my own experience, the D40 has two problems (which may or not be severe, depending on what you want to do with the camera):

a) the 6 megapixels resolution is a bit limiting when it comes to cropping (there's a noticeable picture quality decrease in such crops);

b) some settings take just that little extra time to change (lack of some direct controls).

Again, these will only be a problem if you need to crop a lot or to change settings very often - or very quickly.

As for the lenses, all of the lenses on this page, that are "AF-S", will auto-focus with the D40. Those that are only "AF", will not autofocus.

All in all, I'd say the D40 is a very affordable beginner camera that will get you started. You'll certainly be able to take good photos with it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:07 pm 

Also - just to point out (incase you didnt know already)

Certain lenses will only go on certain brands of camera, and on certain lens mounts on those cameras.

For example - A Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 lens will only work on Canon cameras that have a EF mount, which include all EOS Camera, Film and Digital SLR cameras.

Once you start to buy lenses, esepcially the more expensive ones, you are sort of commiting yourself to the brand of the camera body you have, e.g. Myself in the Canon brand, any other DSLR body I buy will be a Canon so that it fits my exisiting lenses (and ones I plan to buy soon!) even though this won't be for a while.

So it is kind of a commitment. Nikon make some fantastic kit, there is no doubt about that, and also some fantastic lenses (18-200VR 8)) so, its all about who you plan to stay with in the future in my eyes.

Whichever brand you decide to go for, go to their sections in the forum to get advice on lenses and other things!

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:42 pm 

Thank u all for great responses.
lemme ask one question:
i saw somewhere that d40 doesn't autofocus with the "old lenses."
does that mean all the new Nikon lenses are AF-S?[/b]If so nikon d40 can make a better choice.
also i heard that Canon doesn't have a great 70-200 lens as of Nikon till date. is that true? maybe i'm wrong.

On the Evolt 410: is the live preview a real advantage and also that it's lightweight?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:06 pm 

Hi Vishak.

Yes the D40/x will not Autofocus with the "old lenses". It will only focus with the new AF-S lenses as you say. You will have to pay a higher price for the AF-S lenses though :( .

im not sure about the 70-200mm zoom form canon, but the 18&55-200mm form Nikon are both great lenses!.

Its a real advantage if you have upgraded from a Point and shoot and you dont like using a viewfinder.I rather the viewfinder as do many of the users on this forum. Its a personal preference really.

Also to your second question, Yes the e-410 is very small and lightweight!

Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:38 pm 

vishak wrote:
...also i heard that Canon doesn't have a great 70-200 lens as of Nikon till date. is that true? maybe i'm wrong...

Check out the Photozone EF 70-200mm f/4 USM L IS Review where it states "the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 USM L IS may well be the very best tele zoom on the market today". Unfortunately, quality this good doesn't come cheap. :(

Bob.