Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:39 am 
To everyone... thanks for all your help.

I decided to choose the D80 over the Canon 40D for the following simple reasons.

1. I'm a beginner, and those gazzillion controls on the Canon 40D isn't suitable for my level. The D80 is very user friendly.

2. As Gordon thinks, the D80 produces images just as good as the Canon's. Plasticky case on the D80? It didn't bother me at all.
(however, all the canon semi-pro cameras appeared to be well built and durable)

3. I'm happy with the D80. As soon as I got home and started using it I didn't have any regrets and more importantly I kinda felt good knowing that I made the right choice.

4. I tried the Canon 40d/Rebel Xti/Canon 30D/ Pentax K100 and they all just didn't impress me at all.

5. Money wasn't an issue for me, if I really wanted the Canon 40D I could have gotten it. But for some reason, I kept leaning towards the D80. Thus I followed what my instinct was telling me.

The D40x isn't bad at all. But if you can add 300 more dollars just go for the D80. As everyone would say, if you have D40x your lenses are gonna be very limited.

But to those people who are planning to buy their first DSLR, just follow what your instinct is telling you to get![/b]

For your information. [i]It did take me at least freaking 3 months
to decide what to really buy. (believe me, I was jumping from one camera store to another and did a whole bunch of research). I'm glad it's over and I'm so happy with my decision and so happy that I have the D80.

Correct me if I'm wrong but are most of the members here Nikon Fanatics???? If the answer is YES, Is it because you felt that Nikon was a little bit better than the Canon cameras? (because that's what I felt). This website is known and being read by people worlwide... I really do sense that most of the members here are "Nikon Fanatics" and I guess I am one of them now too!!!

I apologize for the spill... i just have to let it out!!!

Thanks to all and to Mr. Gordon Laing!!! What's to become of us if we didn't have you!!!

[/i]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:30 am 

lowranking wrote:
...I decided to choose the D80...
I followed what my instinct was telling me...
are most of the members here Nikon Fanatics?...

Congratulations on the purchase of your new toy! It's great to hear how pleased you are. I totally sympathise with the "instinct" call. I tend to agonise for ages trying to work out the pros and cons but in the end, provided there are no significant cons, I often go with my heart. What's the point in buying something, especially an expensive something like a camera, if you don't feel any joy in the ownership?

As for the preponderance of Nikonians (thanks, Thomas), it's true that the Nikon owners seem to generate more discussion but we all share a love for the same hobby so we all win. We all pray to the same god so it behoves us not to desecrate each other's churches (no offence intended).

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject: Bob
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:04 am 
I'm also happy that you have the 40D. I believe Canon 40D was superior than the D80. But it wasn't just for me.

I'm not dissing Canon and no offense when i said i wasn't impressed. It's just that it didn't cater to my needs of me being a a beginner. But you'll never know maybe 2-3 years from now. I'll switch to Canon... a few of the many good things to say about canon 40d is...it's fast, quiet and sleek! it's seriously a great camera!!! But I'm still happy with the D80.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:17 am 

Hi lowranking,

I'm sorry if my post gave the impression that I thought you were dissing the 40D. Far from it. I was just making a general point following on from your observation of the number of happy Nikon owners on the forum.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:25 pm 

Hello lowranking! Nice that you've finally made up your mind and are feeling happy with it.
We all wish you a many happy shots and would love to see some of your results or discuss anything that comes up in the meantime!
The Nikonians and all other friendly folks in this forum are here to help you out, should you ever get stuck :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:42 pm 

It's a good point you all raise. Many years ago my dad bought me a Canon AE-1 SLR, my first "real" camera. I loved it, still do actually. When the time finally came to buy a digital SLR there was only ever one automatic choice, the Canon 400D. Then I went to a shop and tried it. Man, was I disappointed. Too small, way too small. I was gutted. I went to another shop which had the Pentax K10D, which, pound for pound, was far better specced. Same problem, it felt uncomfortable in my hand. The same shop had a Nikon D80 and I (reluctantly) tried it out and wow! What a revelation. It fits like a glove. There really only was one choice.

Since then I've never once felt I had a "better" camera, just one more suited to my hand. And that's enough really. As Bob says, as long as you're comfortable with your camera nothing else really matters. I certainly wouldn't be able to distinguish between the same scene shot through a D80, 400D, K10D or a.n. other.

Good luck to you. We're looking forward to seeing your results.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

I echo the sentiments above - instinct and how a camera feels in yuor hand is crucial. If it ain't right for you, then you won't use it. I hope you use the spare budget you saved by not going for the 40D to buy a nice lens for your D80 though!

As for Nikonians, a lot of our regular posters are Nikon owners, but we do have owners of other cameras too!