Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:50 am

All times are UTC

Which should I upgrade to?
Canon EOS 30/40D 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
Sigma SD14 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Nikon D200 55%  55%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 11
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:08 pm 
First off, I need somebody to close my other threads. This will be my final one about my camera upgrade.

Alright this goes out to everybody...I need your opinions and experience with these cameras, because I want to go ahead and decide which I am saving up for.What I am shooting with at the moment -

Nikon D40
18-55mm II
55-200mm VR
SB-600
ML-L3 Remote

but I a friend's mom said when I want to sell my gear she will buy.

Pros and Cons...

Canon EOS 30/40D:

Pros - I like the feel and ergonomics of these cameras, they feel perfect in my hand and lenses and accesories are more readily available where I live.

Cons - I would have to start over on gear and that is basically it.

Sigma SD-14

Pros - I love how this camera reproduces color and just how the images compare to other companies' cameras. And although you can get the lenses in all mounts, it has great lens selection and relatively cheap.

Cons - Hard to find Sigma gear around where I live and again I would have to start all over on gear, and since I can't order my camera bodies I am not even sure if I can get one at Ritz Camera.

Nikon D200

Pros - Greatest build quality out of all 3 cameras, a great company( very trustworthy). Awesome lens selection and IQ, weather- sealed, easy to find Nikon gear in stores, and I wouldn't have to start over on gear.

Cons - Cost! I will have to wait quite awhile to buy this, also by the time I have enough to get the body it could be discontinued or Ritz Camera won't be able to order one for me.

The obvious choice to me is to go Canon because everystore that carries DSLR stuff has pretty much everybody except the 20D and full pro bodies. They also have lots of lenses, speedlights, and other stuff you might need. But what I really want is the D200 just because status(haha not really something I care but it would be cool to have a D200), and everything about the camera other than the cost and wait.

Thanks, Nathan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:01 am 
Since you've started with Nikon Gear, and you said the D200 is to expensive, may I ask you what puts you off the D80?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:13 am 
I think that it might just be build quality, I am looking for a bigger camera with stonger build, and I have heard that it is similiar to that of the 30D so who knows maybe I will give it another look on Friday. But for now I want to concentrate on these cameras.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:28 am 
Anyone have something to say? I am going to play around with a 30D and 40D tommorow(and a 5D even though it is out of the question.) Too bad nobody has a D200 so I am gonna be getting very friendly with the Canon cameras.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:43 am 
Hi Nathan
I think the best advice is to go out and have a feel of the cameras.
Only you can tell whether it feels nice in your palm.
A camera that does not feels comfortable in your hands will probably 'not the one'.
Dont just stick with one brand - take a look at Gordon - he mastered - every type there is ! Otherwise He can't do a review !

Good Luck !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:21 am 
Thats my philosophy too, I think the camera you use should be the one that feels right in your hand. Problem is I can't hold a D200 because nobody has one except a girl who owns a studion and she might be able let me see hers in the shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:35 am 
I think that the Sigma is only compatible with Sigma's own lenses? Since you say that Sigma gear is hard to find where you live, don't you see that as a potential problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:02 pm 
yeah, I never really thought that was the one I would get, I just put it in there cause I like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:45 pm 
Don't worry about it Nathan, don't rush.
Rushing into a decision is never a good idea.
Take your time to get hold and test the D200.. better late then never huh ?

BTW, I can't find a D200 here too !
Though 40D is now available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:04 pm 

I personally would not buy a D200 at the mo. Either upscale to D300 or be perfectly happy with a D80.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:59 pm 
Well it turns out my friend and model Chelsea wants to buy the D40 + ket lens + 55-200mm VR for like $900 and Circuit City is selling D80 + 18-135mm for $1200 so I will have

d80
18-135
sb-600
ml-l3
and a cheap ring flash

also I will only need to save up till like the end of this month and I can buy it around the begining of Nov.

I almost was gonna buy a 30D + 28-135mm for like $1300 around Christmas but the D80 seems like a much better value since I already have Nikon gear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:06 pm 

Good decision, Nathan. Congrats!
Stay with it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:55 pm 

Hold that thought :idea:

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:02 pm 
I know I am sticking with my decision this time, believe me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:22 pm 

I guess you won't be considering the Pentax K10D then?

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head