Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: What do you think about?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:19 pm 
Hi what do you think?

I can afford to buy the new 40D by Canon.

But as Gordon says:

"If you really want Live View and its other features though, the 40D could be worth getting, but the image quality is roughly the same as the D80."
and of course the live view.

But is it really worth buying the new 40d with a 28-135 lens?

I'll use it mainly for everything such as family events, parties, and mainly for "personal use"

Would you suggest to me to just get the D80 over the canon since it has the same quality as the Canon D80? I did try some of the suggestions here such as feeling the cameras in my hand. I didn't have any problems with any of these two. I actually kind of like them both.

The whole point here is, for a first time user/buyer should I just go for the Canon 40D or the nikon d80?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:49 pm 

Hi lowranking,

A warm welcome to the Camera Labs forum.

There is lots of advice on this site about the strengths and weaknesses of both the D80 and the 40D. I'll let others fight their corner (Nikonians and Canonites can get quite passionate at times) but I will remark that if you intend to use your new camera a lot at family events, parties etc. then the 28-135 lens may not give a wide enough field of view for you: you need to check this out. Over here in Europe the 40D kit lens is the EF-S 17-85 IS which is more suited to those cosy indoor events, albeit with a little loss at the telephoto end of the range.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Last edited by Bob Andersson on Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:54 pm 

Hello!
Nice you have the budget to get the 40D :D
But if you can envision a lot of different photographic situations that you like to capture (e.g. landscape, wildlife, sports, macro,...) you certainly need more than one lens.
Also a big-gun flash could help with capturing indoor-events.

So my advice: for starters in DSLR, get the cheaper body (bodies are also likely to be replaced faster) and invest in glass (aka "lenses"). This (invest) will last you longer and will get you shots, that you otherwise could not have made (regardless of the body).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:12 pm 
Site Admin

Hi low ranking, as the guys have said, this subject's been covered several times here, so I'll keep my reply brief!

The Canon 40D is a lovely camera, but it costs a lot more than the D80, so it's not like comparing apples with apples. For the same money as the 40D, you could buy the D80 with a better lens, or maybe two lenses.

So it's really down to your budget and what features you want or need. The 40D has more features, but would you use them? If so, get it, but if not, then the D80 would probably be a better bet. I'm impressed Thomas has resisted sugegsting it, but the D80 with the 18-200mm is a combination well worth considering.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:57 pm 

What lens was that? :shock:

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:59 am 
lowranking wrote:
is it really worth buying the new 40d with a 28-135 lens?

The whole point here is, for a first time user/buyer should I just go for the Canon 40D or the nikon d80?

So, for your first question. I've used the 28-135 on a Canon DSLR for years and thought it was fine. Wider is nice, but if you don't need wide or want to shoot with a film or full frame digital camera, then the 28-135 is a nice mid-priced lens. On a 40D... eh. I'd go with something wider initially.

For the second question... for a first time DSLR buyer, I'd recommend neither of these cameras. Get the 400D or D40x kits. If you find you like using a DSLR, then invest in expensive lenses, then invest in better bodies when you need them. I didn't follow this advice when it was given to me, of course :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:48 am 

The issue that I find most people find annoying about DSLR's is the "lack" of live view in comparison to Point and Shoot cameras. Now, personally I like using the view finder anyway, so it wasn't a problem, but if you really don't like using the viewfinder, or like using the screen to shoot with, then the 40D.

The 40D does have a bag load of tricks and gadgets, remote shooting and control from a computer and things like that, but really unless you are going to use them, its not worth getting it.

I would personally say get a D80 if you need to pick one of those 2.

D80 + 18-200VR + SB-600 Flashgun (600 or 800 not sure which would be best for you)

OR if you really don't need the good build quality, the 400D with 2 lenses and a flash gun would go just great!

400D + 17-85 IS + 70-300 IS + Speedlite 430ex

Plus Canon have a cash back offer on just now, so you will save a little going with the 400D, then in the future if you want to upgrade to the 40/50D (depending on when you do it and what cameras are out) then you can take your lenses and flash with you!

I might sound like a Canon fanboy, but for your first DSLR for doing what you stated above, then I think a D80 or 40D might be a little to much just now, but remember, the lens and lens quality is as much to do with the image quality as the actual camera body is! (people tend to forget that...)

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!