Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sigma SD14
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:25 pm 
I am gonna buy a Nikon D200 in a couple months, but I heard that the Sigma SD14 is one of the best cameras for portraiture, and I have the money to buy th ebody alone and a 50mm lens + ring flash...right now. I am trying to focus on portraiture more than anything so would this be a smart move?

What are your throught on staring as a Sigma user and will it last me compared to waiting a couple months for a Nikon D200?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:06 pm 
I am seriously considering this camera, because it is affordable and it has the exact quality i am looking for. check these out.

http://rytterfalk.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:46 pm 
Wait for the D200. Nikon is a better known brand.

But then, you might as well go for the D80. Nice camera, large user base, and a great deal of accessories readily available.

In the meanwhile, concentrate on getting the best out of your D40. Your photos are amazing. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:02 am 

What about Hasselblad? They're a new small company but I hear some folks like them. Extremely good for portraiture I hear.

I guess the question is, "how long can you wait?". Personally I'd buy the D80 (or D200 at a stretch), some good glass and never look back. But that's me.

Zorro

8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:33 am 
I agree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:33 am 
Eh, I think I just might wait for the new Hassleblad.haha.

I was considering the SD14 becasue the quality seems like something all its own, I love the wait it works, the ergonomics, just everything about it. But the better choice it would seem is to wait on teh D200, plus I just order a ring flash today fit for Nikon cameras.

I just can't get past the fact I want a new camera, but that is another reason why the Sigma SD14 is so appealing to me... not to expensive, amazing picture quality, great lenses, and I plain out love the camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:45 am 
A camera should be with you for a long time. Don't rush and make the wrong choice just because you want it now. Because in a couple months after you've bought it the "Wow" factor will wear off and you'll probably want a D80/D200 :)

The D80 is an amazing camera (As you can see by everyones signatures) I'm sure it would suit you fine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:01 am 
I know, but I am really trying to stick it out to get a D200 or if it comes to it SD14(I found a kit with a flash + body and some little accesories) and I can get like 2 lenses.

I can't help the fact that I love the camera in general, but I think my new ring falsh will restore some confidence in my camera and help me stick it out for a bit longer.

By the way did anyone check out my thread about the ring flash in the other camera gear section? I would like to see what you guys think about it, becasue I can still cancel the order.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:20 am 
I am also a bit confused at whether it resolves at 14MP(which means cropping and large prints wouldn't be a problem) or at a low 4.6(meaning cropping would casue major quality drop and prints bigger than say 8 x 10 would lose quality).

That is a major factor I am worried about, because it is a big difference, 14 and 4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:20 am 
Everything I read about the SD14 (sigma cameras in general) it that it's a nitche camera. It has a different sensor array that lends itself to some kinds of photography (I can't be specific). But unless you're sure you fall into that nitche, you could be left holding a camera that is at best frustrating. It's definitly a camera I'd want to try before buying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:28 am 
Site Admin

Hi Nathan, I'd have said if you like the D200 but fancy something different, especially for portraiture, then there's the Fuji S5 Pro - I think we've discussed this elswhere though...

I'm with the other guys though - once you've decided on a system, invest in glass and your technique. Digital bodies will always improve and there'll always be a better-featured model.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:14 am 
Yeah, I will see if I can get my hands on one, but everything I have seen about it really "strikes my fancy."haha.

The thing about the S5 Pro is that, although I know it is awesome for portraiture I heard it only shoots at like 1.5 fps AND for that much I could get a D300.

So the I guess I will get the D200 body, but I would still like to hear about the SD14, and how it resolves pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:28 am 
This might be of some help to you Nathan:
SD14 vs S5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:03 pm 
Thanks, but I was talking to Carl Rytterfalk and I looked at his pictures, and I love how it reproduces color and it does resolve at 14MP which is great for big prints and good if you need to crop.

This is a hard decision, I know the D200 is amazing and right now it has the lead in my decision but I am seriously considering the SD14, but I will try to find a way to play with it a little before I make a decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:31 am 

This thread is closed (as Nathan wished).
Please continue here: http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1568

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]