Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: D40 to 40D!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:00 pm 
I originally bought Nikon because I thought my dad's lense would work with my D40...that wasn't the case. I Love Nikon and always will but, since I am getting ready to upgrade I was gonna be stuck with a D80/SB-600/and a 55-200mm VR...not bad. I ran into some trouble on how I was gonna get the D80 though.

So I started researching about the 40D since I had a chance to play with it, and it was awesome. I called up Ritz Camera and they told me they can order the 40D body alone and I could buy it with a Canon 50mm f/1.8 for about $1450.

I already have about $300 plus I am gonna sell my Nikon gear to a friend's mom for about about $1000 and my mom said she would advance me about $100. At this point it is looking like an awesome deal... and still is.

So I am asking, to those of you who have one of use one, is this a good deal ? Should I go through with this ? And ultimately, will I be happy with the transission to Canon ? Or should I stick with buying the D80 ?

Last edited by Nathan on Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:17 pm 

Well Nathan, at least you will miss the reach from 18-200mm.
What are you gonna do about this? Plus need a new flash?
That will add up to at least another 800$ :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:56 pm 
well, actually I am not positive if I am gonna buy yet, but I think I will be able to last with a 50mm for awhile since I don't generally use zoom and the flash will be my next purchase if I do buy it. I am stilling considering sticking with the D80.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Nathan, the image quality between the two cameras is roughly similar, so you'd be buying the 40D on features and build. Do have another look at our 40D verdict page where we compare it against the D80.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon ... dict.shtml

If you want or need features like 6.5fps, Live View, superior build etc, then the 40D is a great camera. But as Thomas says, the D80 is half the price, so you could buy it with money to spare which could alternatively go on lenses or other accessories.

And while I admire your purist approach of going for a 50mm lens alone, you may find it a bit restrictive as your only lens - remember this will be acting like 80mm on your 40D, so you're going to miss out on wide angle until you can afford a seocnd lens. Be great for your portrait work though...

I'd also urge you to try the 50mm f1.8 before buying. The optical quality is good, but it's a slow and noisy focuser. The f1.4 model is MUCH classier with quick and quiet USM focusing, full-time manual focusing and of course a slightly brighter aperture too.

PS - if you end up buying from Ritz and they'll give you the price online, don't forget you can click through to their store from our Affiliate page to help support this site!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:44 pm 
Well actually you can go ahead and close this page becasue I reall ythought about it and it seems I am just rushing in, wanting to buy stuff when I can. I have made a final decision to wait until after Chirstmas( I only ask for money + money I make from now till then) and I am gonna get a D200(I will try to get a D300).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:14 pm 
Hey Nathan, I think that it would be best if you'd stick with Nikon. I mean, there's always a new body coming out. If you really want a new body i'd just wait for the d80 succesor. That camera will probably be better than the 40d. My point is that you shouldn't be tempted by these new bodies because they are successed so fast. And I think you're really gonna miss your old lenses if you only have a 50 f1.8

Just giving my opinion though :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:28 pm 
Oops, am a little late with a reply. I see you've already decided. Good choice :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:22 pm 
I hope you get your D200 soon Nathan :) Pains me to see someone with your talent and a D40 :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:09 pm 
Thanks,haha, the D40 was good and taught me how to take a decent photo and I will still be using it for a couple months, but the day I get enough cash for the D200 I will be finished with the D40.