Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:52 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lens vs. Camera
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:59 am 

What are your opinions on the lens vs. camera issue? Can a 3.25 star DSLR, like say, the Xti produce better images ( the standard kit lense for it seems to be less than steller ) and become more well rounded and taken to the next level than 3.5-4 star camera like the D80 with just an OK lense?

The Xti is the ugly duckling to these eyes, funny looking, not very professional feeling and so on, but would the right lense(s) make up for a lack of depth the camera by itself lacks?

I was looking at general costs yesterday and I may have to fidget with my budget a bit because I'll be moving out soon and rent will go up about 700.00 a month--I'll finally be on my own. Woooot! I didn't think it'd be this soon, but hey, if my brother's girlfriend and her two kids wanna move in, then I say ok, but I'll move out and get some peace and quiet.

The D80 with the VR 18-200mm lens is what I'm after and the cost of the two nears 2 thousand--needs the memory cards, tripod, bag, etc. Ouch.

Can anyone recommend a camera lense or lenses that are just as good as the Nikon 18-200mm that works well with the Xti or E-510? Are there alot of cross breeds out there? I think the Olmypus lenses need the four thirds only right? There's no way to put the Nikon one on the E-510 body?

And lastly, what kind of lenses have made your photography that much more? And what should I avoid? I've been through the reviews, but I'd like everyone's opinion on what they bought and are happy/not happy with. It might help out others as well. Oh, and these will mainly be lenses for the budget DSLR's and maaybe the more reasonable of the semi pro DSLR's.

Thanks for the up and coming info. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:14 am 

Well Amokster,
It all depends on your shooting style. If you like to stroll around with not to much luggage but want to capture every situation that presents itself, go for a stabilized 18-200mm. Apart from macro-stuff, you will seldom lose a shot. And at the ends, 18mm will turn out to be pretty wide and 200mm pretty long for many challenges.
There are other things, that only the lens will do for you: giving an even broader fov or wider reach, or giving you macro-shots or nice out-of-focus pics.
But two things that only the body is going to do for you: Exposure and focus. And both can really ruin a shot, worst case being a shot that you cannot repeat. Against this hazard all weaknesses of lenses look trifle.
I myself feel very lucky with the exposure of my D80, so that I normally let it do its work fully automatic, shoot RAW and do any corrections afterwards. I have yet to loose my first pic (out of almost 10.000) due to bad exposure. But I have lost pics due to temporary focus probs with some lenses (e.g. 50mm/f1.4), which some say is a prob of these lenses.
So, rule #1: Get a body that has a high reliability in exposure and focus. :shock:
Rule #2: Afterwards you can build a lens-collection as you like (and have the dosh for) :D

Last edited by Thomas on Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:05 am 
Site Admin

Well you can see the benefit of fitting the 400D / XTi with a better lens in our group test here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/Cano ... s_upgrade/

It sure can make a big difference.

If you want an 18-200mm and are still thinking of Olympus, don't forget the forthcoming Leica 14-150mm for the Four Thirds fit which has built in stabilisation - so it would stabilise on the E-410 and of course Panasonic's own L10. (with the Four Thirds 2x factor, this lens will approx match the coverage of the Nikon 18-200mm)...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:38 pm 

The Nikon 18-200 mm is a really nice lens and it might be the best available in this range (eq. 28-300). Olympus has the 18-180 mm (eq. 36-360), but I'v never read any tests on this one (Olympus makes good lenses though). There are Sigma and Tamron 18-200 mm, but they are not as good as the Nikon. Pentax has just announced a 18-250, bur no tests yet.

So, if you want that range, go for Nikon, you might also consider the D40x.

Hans