Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:07 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Question on Canon 400D!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:55 pm 
Hey folks!

Just a quick question about the Canon 400D as it will be my first DSLR. Can anyone tell me if it is worth buying the camera now or does anyone know if Canon are planning on updating or releasing a new model any-time soon. I know how fickle the technology market can be and how fast it moves but i would still prefer to wait if need be. Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:05 pm 
Hi,

The 400d's replacement is due around January next year in time for the PMA. You can read about it here:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_450D.html

Bear in mind these are just rumours though, I already made the mistake of taking speculation for fact somewhere else on the forum! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:20 pm 
Hi
Thanks for the reply, in anyones opinion would the Canon 450D be worth waiting for, or even the new Sony Alpha a700, or would the safe option for a learner of DSLR's be to save a bit of money and buy a 400D, or is the jump in technology between each update too big, leaving me with an 'old' camera and lusting after the new model (Canon 450D or Sony a700). Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:42 pm 
I'm no expert on this and am new to DSLRs myself but the a700 is aimed more at the Canon 40d in terms of pricing and features.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:24 pm 

I think there's absolutely no doubt the camera that comes after the 400D will be a better camera. However the 400D will still be a competent camera that will take great pictures. If you think the 400D is for you I'd go for it.

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:04 pm 
Thanks guys for your advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:07 pm 

They can put all types of fancy stuff in the 450D, but at the end of the day, the sensor ain't gettin' no bigger, and they will probably cram more pixels into it, meaning more noise unless they introduce a better noise reduction system which might be down to the Digic III processor that will go in it, compared to the 350D and 400D Digic II. (350D has less noise than the 400D at higher ISO's 800 and 1600 - as 8Mp vs 10Mp)

I own a 350D and the image quality is great, but remember it is as much down to the lenses you buy as it is the camera.

Personally i'd say for the 400D ASAP, meaning more time of it being the best Canon at that price point.

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:51 pm 
Site Admin

I'd say it depends how much you want Live View, as the 450D is likely to have it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:32 am 

It seems that with digital cameras, computers, DVD's, etc., they will always go down in price eventually cause a newer, badder version will come out afterwards. There are old 35mm cameras that still take the amazing shots. I guess it boils down to what you're doing with it and how much money you can save if you want the eventual upgrade. Or is it just me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:54 am 
You might like to wait till the 450d is out for the 400d's price to drop. You can then spend the extra on lenses.