Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:08 am

All times are UTC

If you're starting from scratch would you buy
Canon 40D 53%  53%  [ 10 ]
Nikon D80 42%  42%  [ 8 ]
Other: please post 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 19
 Post subject: 40D or D80?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:34 pm 
So I'm about to buy my first dslr and the choice stands between the Nikon D80 and the new Canon 40D. A month ago I decided to buy the D80 with the DX 18-200 lens once I could afford it, but now the 40D came along and it seems like a really nice camera. The downside about the 40D is that I cant afford a really good lens initially. On the upside there is a metal case and live view, wich might come in handy. If the D80 only had a metal body the choice would be easy.

To me the Canon lens lineup seems a bit inferior to the Nikon counterpart, at least for an amateur, is there any truth in this assumption?

So, any suggestions to make this an easier decision?

P.S.
This site is by far the best resource for reviews I have yet to find. I love the videos, they give you a much better feel of the objects than an image.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:49 pm 

Hello Rickard, and welcome to the Camera Labs forum!
As a convicted Nikon fanboy, you already know what to expect from me:
- I have the D80 now almost a year and it has accompanied me on a 4 week trip to New Zealand, but I never thought about the body being only plastic!
- There is no 18-200mm VR equivalent for the Canon. The Sigma/Tamron are either not stabilized or not as good in the IQ department.
So for me it's an easy choice :)

Last edited by Thomas on Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:01 pm 
My advice; lens first then body :) It's right that Canon dosn't have a 18-200mm so you might say they lack something in the amateur lineup. Type of lens depends on your style of photography and that could be something that you need to develop first, so Canon might suit you as well as Nikon. A 18-200mm gives you lot of zoom but compromises on speed (aperture vice) and to some degree sharpness, but it seems like a very good start.

Do you already know what kind of photography you are into?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:21 pm 
No chance of you holding out and getting the Nikkon D300?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:51 pm 
The D300 is just a tad too expensive I'm afraid but if i had the money that would be my choice. I've considered a D200 though.

I have yet to figure out my type of photography, unfortunately. Thats why the 18-200mm would be perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:08 pm 

I'd be seriously tempted to go for a D200 with a Sigma 18-200mm, if that's the focal range you're looking at.

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:31 am 
I agree with tombomba2, the D80 definitely does not feel plastic, and compromising on a lens for a better features in a camera is probably not the way to go, although live view does sound very useful.

Studini.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:25 am 
Site Admin

Hi Rickard, I owuldn't reject the D80 on build quality unless you want semi-pro / pro toughness. The D80 feels great and you won't find it a compromise unless you're really knocking it around or demanding better environmental sealing.

So it's a case of weighing up the features between the two models - and as everyone says here, also seeing whether your preferred lenses are only on one system. Certainly if you love the idea of an 18-200mm with stabilisation, then the Nikkor is the best bet (I haven't tested the Sigma yet).

If you really want Live View and its other features though, the 40D could be worth getting, but the image quality is roughly the same as the D80.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:38 pm 
I just want to say thanks for all the replys, I will give all this a bit more thought before I decide on what camera to buy.

I presume that no matter what camera maker I decide to go with I can find lenses that will suit my needs (once I figure out what they are)?

Edit:
The D200 is out of the qustion since it costs as much as the new 40D here in Sweden, 1400€ roughly with the 18-70mm lens.

And another question, how does the D80's AF fare against the 40D?

Post subject: Nikon or Canon
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:59 am 
Hi Rickard,

i have the same question. what was your final decision?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:49 pm 
I havent decided yet, the 40D body just feels fantastic in my hands but where do I go from there. I mean if i buy the D80 and really find myself loving this hobby I could always bring my Nikon lenses to a D300 body sometime in the future. If I buy the 40D there's only full frame bodys left to wich I can't bring my old lenses.

Post subject: 40D or D80 or 30D?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:35 pm 

Rickard Nilsson wrote:
I havent decided yet, the 40D body just feels fantastic in my hands but where do I go from there. I mean if i buy the D80 and really find myself loving this hobby I could always bring my Nikon lenses to a D300 body sometime in the future. If I buy the 40D there's only full frame bodys left to wich I can't bring my old lenses.

Hi Rickard,

You mentioned that the "40D body just feels fantastic in my hands" and, in an earlier post that "the downside about the 40D is that I can't afford a really good lens initially". That early post was made before the latest Canon cashback offer. Has the Canon promotion influenced you in any way?

I am not sure I agree with your logic that buying a D80 means you have the option of buying a D200 or D300 later. That buying sequence would work out more costly than going straight to a D200 or an EOS 40D. However, if you are dipping your toe into the DSLR world and don't want to spend too much in case you find it isn't for you the D80 might well be the way to go.

That said, if you really like the feel of the 40D then have you checked out the earlier 30D which Gordon reviewed here? You might find that the feel of this semi-pro model appeals in much the same way as the 40D. OK, it lacks a few of the bells and whistles of the latest model but it is still a very fine camera and (in the UK at least) the body is only around 10% more expensive than the Nikon D80. The 30D might give you a bit more breathing room than the 40D to select a better lens.

If your body choice ended up between the D80 and the 30D then you can perhaps think more on whether the Canon or the Nikon lens and accessory system is more to your taste.

I hope this post hasn't confused the issue further!

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:02 pm 

Zorro wrote:
go for a D200 with a Sigma 18-200mm

and to contradict our valued forum-member Zorro just a little bit:
- Better go for the D80+Nikon VR 18-200mm!
- at least take the Sigma 18-200mm OS...
- I personally would not invest in a D200 at this time in the life-cycle: either upscale to D300 or be happy with D80 :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:34 pm 

lowranking wrote:
Tom so if Canon has a version of a lens comparable to Nikon VR 18-200mm would you buy the Canon then?

I'm not sure. Fortunately this alternative does not present itself, as Canon has no equivalent to the Nikkor VR 18-200mm. So I don't have to decide...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:53 pm 

I'd go to the shop and try them in hand. I haven't seen a 40D in the flesh yet but it would be going some to feel better in the hand than my D80. Go to Nikonians and try searching for pictures of dropped or smashed D200's (metal body). They exist.

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head